Lazy Right Elbow

Edited: September 24, 2018, 9:35 PM · I have often noticed a discrepancy between the timing of the placement of my fingers and the changing of the bow on the strings, and I am fairly certain, when it happens, it is due to my right elbow being late for the string change.
I think of it as my arm being lazy, and my teacher has added that I am too tense in my right shoulder.

So my question is: what can I do to get my elbow to follow my hand better? If this is in fact the issue. Or any thoughts regarding the tension/lateness?

I try to slow it down and practice in front of a mirror, but as soon as those elements are gone, I fall back into the lazy elbow habit.

Edit: I should perhaps add that I am practicing the Air VariƩ No. 5 by Charles Dancla, and it is the first variation in which I notice the issue.

Replies (3)

September 25, 2018, 8:38 AM · Trying doing the converse of lazy and anticipate the elbow movement in advance of the actual string change. That will give you a feel of it and try to make it a habit.
September 25, 2018, 8:41 AM · The frustrating solution is:
slow practise. The fastest speed you can play at with no mistakes.
Sometimes you gotta hustle.
September 25, 2018, 9:36 AM · Practicing in goups and rhythms forces the bow and left hand to match timing.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings