Easy Showpieces

September 24, 2018, 9:11 PM · Hi,

I’m looking for a showpiece which is not difficult (Suzuki book 2 or easier) but whose sound and fingering looks sophisticated enough to the layman listener. Something sounds fast like Kayser Etude 1, maybe with a bit more variation in tempo.

Can someone put forwards your suggestions if you happen to know any?

P/S to demonstrate how the public’s perception of difficulty is different from reality, I’d say all of my non-violin friends think Vivaldi’s winter is the most difficult ever, way more difficult than Beethoven violin concerto or last rose of summer!

Replies (11)

September 24, 2018, 9:15 PM · Maybe Mollenhauser's "Infant Paganini"?
September 24, 2018, 9:35 PM · There is that ditty by Jenkinson called "Elves Dance." That might be a bit beyond Book 2 level though. You can find it on youtube being played by toddlers.

I know what you mean about impressing lay audiences ... they think Czardas is a virtuoso piece. But in my experience they enjoy a well-played Ashokan Farewell or Amazing Grace even more.

September 24, 2018, 9:45 PM · Have a look at the Barbara Barber series. I have found them to be a good source of pieces that may be a step up from Suzuki-2, but could be of interest. Maybe start with Pappini. Huber was my first recital piece as a restarter - it looks/sounds flashier than it really is. Küchler sounds like Vivaldi, but was written as a student piece. Beyond that, have a look at Seitz Concerto #2, which can be played almost exclusively in 1st position, or with more challenging fingerings as you become comfortable with them. Hope this helps!
September 25, 2018, 1:15 AM · Here is a little piece which is really nice and not too hard: Fritz Kreisler's andantino (in the style of Martini). A little harder than some of the others, especially if you want to play Kreisler's fingerings. Still doable though, if need be with simpler fingering. Not fast but a nice, sentimental melody (don't drag!) and just short enough to bore nobody. Also: The piano part is not very hard either.
Edited: September 25, 2018, 5:03 AM · Hi, thank you so much for the suggestions. I may not need the pieces right now though I may perform some of them to old citizens when I work as a nursery home volunteer on Saturdays next month.

I asked also because usually when I go to a violin shop and try the violins, the shop assistant just test plays some very beautiful melodies that can shine on their own without any piano accompaniment. They are not only beautiful but also has a ‘flowing’ quality (a bit like krayser 1 but maybe more expressive). I guess she may have chosen the pieces carefully as they may persuade the customer a little bit more in buying the instrument.

If I play to the old people it would also be likely to be unaccompanied, so I would be enticed to know a not-too-difficult piece which is not too boring to hear without accompaniment. It would be great if you can give me further suggestions given this new info. The pieces can be classical or new age or and what not. Thank you all!

Edited: September 25, 2018, 4:32 AM · I suggest "Por una cabeza". It's a tango known by most, sounds good played alone and, like most folk tunes, very forgiving of mistakes.
It can be played with difficult technique, but it sounds good in its basic form. Passion and dynamics are more important.
It has some third position, but really easy and obvious, and also very easy double stops. They are parts that can be learned in minutes even if you don't have those techniques studied yet.
It's a piece that can evolve and improve with you, adding more flourishes, double stops and sul G&D, as you get better. But from the beginning, it's good.
September 26, 2018, 7:12 AM · "I know what you mean about impressing lay audiences ... they think Czardas is a virtuoso piece."

I'm hoping the lay audiences don't change. I can't play virtuosic pieces. Not even a decent Czardas :(

September 26, 2018, 9:44 AM · Mr. D'Agulleiro,

Is there a "difficult" arrangement for this piece already out there for violin and piano, or do you mean making your own version from the original. It would have been fun to hear what a Heifetz version of the work would have been. Serious question-be well.

September 26, 2018, 10:50 AM · Not Heifetz, but Perlman has an arrangement with a virtuoso opening. Look for it in YouTube. Perlman por una cabeza.
I have seen that arrangement for sale in some online providers, but cant remember which one.
September 26, 2018, 10:50 AM · Not Heifetz, but Perlman has an arrangement with a virtuoso opening. Look for it in YouTube. Perlman por una cabeza.
I have seen that arrangement for sale in some online providers, but cant remember which one.
September 29, 2018, 5:42 PM · Karl Bohm Introduction and Polonaise is a relatively easier showpiece that has emotional and musical depth as well as sounding difficult.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings