Rosin for hot, humid climate.

Edited: September 24, 2018, 10:04 PM · Can someone make some recommendations for rosin that is suitable for the hot, humid, southeast USA? I currently use Andrea Solo that was gifted to me, but it is a dark rosin and no matter how little or how much I apply, the sound starts to get "dusty" as I play longer and longer throughout the day.

Replies (18)

September 24, 2018, 8:53 PM · I live in Vietnam and have the same problem with Andrea Solo.
Bernardel works very well for me, both in the dry and the humid season.
September 24, 2018, 9:32 PM · Clarity from SuperSensitive is hydrophobic and unaffected by humidity.
Edited: September 24, 2018, 11:31 PM · I use Andrea Solo and live in the sub tropics. I've found it's not changing the rosin- it's frequent string cleaning that helps. I run over my strings very lightly with the finest grade of steel wool once during and then after I'm finished and that seems to take care it. I tried Bernadel and Melos and I didn't feel like they had enough grip.

Edited to add: If you live in the Southeast and are mostly in air conditioning, you're instrument is likely in a dry climate, as the constant running of the AC dries out the air.

September 25, 2018, 5:05 AM · I was going to ask if that's what cheap "white" Chinese summer rosin was for, but I guess you want more expensive.
Edited: September 25, 2018, 9:30 AM · Generally lighter rosins work well for hotter, humid climates, something like Bernadel. But I think the Andrea would get stickier not more dusty. It sounds like you might need a rehair. When the hair is worn out, the rosin doesn't adhere to the hair anymore. When was the last time you got a rehair?I personally like P. Guillaume rosin, it's a dark rosin that gives a nice attack and a smooth draw, it doesn't produce much dust and you only need to apply a little. I wrote an article recently on rosins: https://adbowsllc.com/2018/09/25/all-things-rosin/
September 25, 2018, 7:10 AM · In southeast Florida, all of the sliding glass doors have weep holes (to prevent pressure build-up in case of flooding) so we've got plenty of indoor humidity despite AC.
I just switched to Larica Gold 1 a month ago from a Sartory-like house brand and find that I'm cleaning my strings a lot less.
September 25, 2018, 11:09 AM · I’ve heard a lot of good things about Bernardel, I think I’ll try it.
September 25, 2018, 8:44 PM · I am due a rehair, but I am not near a luthier so that is out of the question for the moment.
September 26, 2018, 4:31 PM · Laubach gold
Edited: September 27, 2018, 6:16 AM · Can you get Hidersine in the USA?
They have a clear naming system - 1C thro 6C for cello and 1V thro 6V for violin and viola. 1 being lightest and 6 being darkest.
September 27, 2018, 4:05 AM · FedEx or UPS can deal with the luthier location problem. Just call the person you are shipping to for packing instructions.
October 5, 2018, 9:11 AM · I'd be curious what Amelia Chan had to add to this topic. As the CM of the City Chamber Orchestra of Hong Kong, she should have gained enough experience with that problem. (Hopefully not with completely under-water use of rosin...) But haven't seen her here for a while...
October 5, 2018, 2:27 PM · I mentioned, above, that I was now using Larica gold 1 here in South Florida. When I initially switched from my stickier,, fir-based rosin, I discovered it combined poorly (that's a euphemism) with the Larica's larch base. Isopropyl alcohol baths for my bow hair ensued. But, hey, it's no fun to use the same rosin all the time, am-I-right? So I just got confirmation that samples of Melos light and dark are on their way to my local shop for me to try. Christos Sykiotis (the cellist and Melos creator) underlined the fact the he created his line of rosins expressly so they could be mixed (think, barometer starts to fall, add a swipe of the light, high-cold front rolls in... no prob... swipe left with the dark.) Thanks Christos. Looking forward to giving both Melos options a try.
October 11, 2018, 9:14 AM · You should all try the Leatherwood Bespoke Custom Blend rosin! Andrew Baker (the creator) will email you personally when you fill out the form and will give you a suggestion on how much crisp vs supple you should get. He even invited me to be a part of his Leatherwood Facebook group!

You fill out the form and you can add notes, like your instrument's tendencies, climate information, what goals/needs you have in mind for your playing.

For example, my instrument is an exceptionally warm/dark sounding German instrument from 1880. I needed a bit more bite on my G string, but I also was looking for a smoother, clearer tone. I live in Western New York, where it could be 85 and sunny one day in October (happened this week!) and 45 and yucky out the next. Humid in the summer, exceedingly dry in the winter. He suggested 60% supple and 40% crisp, and it's worked wonders all year round! The rosin runs about $70USD, but it is WELL worth it (and the two week waiting time, coming from Australia).

For those who care about these things, all of the wood and the casing (a deerskin wrap, but they also have a vegan option) are ethically sourced right from Australia, and you can pick what wood you want to hold your rosin! They have blends for violin, viola, and cello, and last I heard from him, he was on his way to developing a bass option too.

October 11, 2018, 2:25 PM · Holly, Christos (the "i" transliterates the Greek eta, giving a name which means "useful" or "pleasant", as opposed to the spelling with the Greek iota, which means "anointed". The Roman historian Suetonius probably assumed that it was because of riots about the former that Claudius expelled the Jews from Rome, hence his spelling of the name as "Chrestos") has a number of grades of rosin. O.P. would probably want the violin light rosin, but I think Christos may still be sending free samples (round discs, about 0.5cm thick).
O.P., give him your luthier's address if and when requesting free samples.
Edited: October 11, 2018, 8:46 PM · Thank you, John. Terrific little bit of historical perspective on Chrestos and Christos. I'm not sure about the "anointed" bit concerning Mr. Sykiotis (although his playing may indeed be divine) but he certainly has been "pleasant" in his his eMails and judging by the sheer volume of Melos rosin chat on this forum over the years, I'm expecting the samples to be quite "good". Nomen est omen.
Edited: October 12, 2018, 5:11 PM · Midwest Great Lakes summers get pretty hot and humid. I like light rosins then: Millant light, Melos light, and lately, Salzman #1.
What works with one type of string may not work as well with another.
October 12, 2018, 6:29 PM · Right now I’m trying Bernardel and I am loving it. It seems MORE grippy than Andrea solo, maybe my Andrea was a fake.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings