Which Chinese violin?

Edited: September 24, 2018, 8:21 AM · I am in the market to be about to buy one among MJZ 909, Leon Sheng's Master Build SE and Chang Zhongqiu's Private Stock.

Unfortunately all the instruments are not here, not possible SIGHT SEEN. Only by sound files the seller released. I have an antique JTL Strad, thinking this time is for brand new Guarneri violins.

What would be more reasonable choice regarding price and tonal quality, if only I can get at 20K for MJZ 909, 16K for MBSE and 33K for Chang Zhongqiu's. (Chang received Silver VSA and similar awards).

Thank you

Replies (4)

Edited: September 24, 2018, 7:41 AM · MJZ makes a nice instrument. I have the second tier viola ($4K) and i like it a lot. Not super responsive but big beautiful sound. I have not heard or played the others. Ehat you are trying to do ... choosing sight unseen ... is basically impossible, but surely you know that already. If you can get to a good shop you might be better off spending 2 to 5k on a European or American made antique. My niece is a serious student and she plays a Jay Haide and thats a really nice violin too.
September 24, 2018, 10:29 AM · Thank you for the advice, Paul... I just picked a Chang Zhongqiu's VSA line from IF. Inevitably sight unseen but sound heard and possible return. LoL.
October 3, 2018, 2:29 AM · If you're looking for an awesome cheap violin, I'd go German. Not Chinese.
October 3, 2018, 8:29 AM · If you're interested in a MJZ violin, I'd go somewhere like Shar or Fiddlershop where you can do a home trial before you buy. Tom also makes a good point that you might want to look at some inexpensive German instruments as well. Even though you went ahead and bought one, it might not hurt to try a couple of others before the return period expires.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay