Removing gut strings

September 23, 2018, 4:36 PM · Is there a way to do this without removing the tailpiece? I'm done with my chordas.

Replies (5)

September 23, 2018, 4:57 PM · What exactly is the problem?

What sort of tailpiece do you have - a Baroque with holes just large enough for the strings to get through, or a modern tailpiece without tuners? I imagine you are using a loop for the gut E (no other safe way of attaching it!), but do you use loops or knots for the others, bearing in mind that the G comes with a loop which you can use as such or as a knot under the tailpiece? What sort of string(s) do you have in mind to replace the Chordas?

When I use a Baroque tailpiece I'd remove a Chorda by releasing it from the peg and pulling it through the hole in the tailpiece. In the case of the E, which I'd never reuse, I'd release the tension at the peg and cut the loop end with scissors, making removal a shade easier.

IMPORTANT. If you're replacing the strings on the same tailpiece the invariable rule is to always take off and replace the strings one at a time so as to maintain adequate tension on the bridge with the remaining three tensioned strings - you don't want the soundpost falling over if the bridge doesn't have any tensioned strings on it!

September 23, 2018, 6:20 PM · I think Trevor's post pretty much covers it. Change the strings one at a time. I can't see a need to remove the tailpiece to change strings, but maybe I'm missing something?
September 23, 2018, 6:49 PM · Heck, if you're too lazy to untie 'em, snip 'em with a knife. That's how I took mine off last time.
Edited: September 25, 2018, 10:16 AM · "a need to remove the tailpiece". It occurs to me that such a need could arise if you want to swap a Baroque tailpiece for a tailpiece with fitted tuners for use with non-gut strings. If that is the case, then a visit to the luthier is indicated in order to avoid fun things like the sound post falling over if an inexperienced person attempts the swap without knowing how. Btw, a falling sound post really is not "fun".
September 28, 2018, 3:43 AM · A cry for help?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay