Thomastik Vision Solo vs Blue Infeld vs Titanium Orchestra

September 23, 2018, 7:01 AM · Hello everyone, i recently put on my violin Blue Infeld GDA with Westminster 27,5. I impressed with the response and clean sound. But it is lacking of colour i think. There is no much zzzz in the sound. I dont want any string set with extra tension.
I tested larsen virtuoso , magnificent sound but a little bit slow on quick string crossing. So... i do not have tested vision solo and titanium orchestra. Titanium solo i think is a little extra tension.

What is the difference in the sound and playability of Vision Solo vs Titanium Orchestra?
Titanium Orchestra can stand up as a "solo" string?

Replies (9)

Edited: September 23, 2018, 10:50 AM · My standard go-to strings are Blue Infeld on a dark tone instrument that likes lower tension strings. I currently have Titanium Orchestra on right now, which are quite nice also, but with what my teacher described as a bit of a rougher sounding. I wouldn't characterise them as very responsive on the string crossing however (the A especially), and will put on the Infeld Blue again next time, but perhaps the "rougher sound" is the "zzzz" that you are looking for. Definitely worth a try IMO. I don't think lower tension strings could ever be favored by soloists... unless you are the only one playing of course, and the Orchestra strings are intended to blend without standing out.
September 23, 2018, 11:46 AM · Or unless you are playing on gut strings...
Edited: September 24, 2018, 7:05 AM · Hello Dimitris,

you will find a comparing review of the strings in question here:

http://www.violinstringreview.com/spotlight-reviews/comparing-all-4-vision-strings

Have a nice day!

September 24, 2018, 11:19 AM · To add to comments above, the slight gain in apparent volume of tight tension synthetic strings does not mean the strings are "soloistic". The soloist's arm is soloistic, and "all things being equal" doesn't matter at the concert or recital hall. It's always puzzling to me how famous brands name some of their products "solo" merely based on tighter tensions.

The majority of gut strings are of good tension even at their highest gauge, so it's fine to experiment there with higher tension strings (the Gold/Aluminum Rigid Oliv D being one of the biggest exceptions.)

I agree with Mr. St. Pierre in that most modern performers using synthetics generally don't use light tension strings (for better or worse), usually opting for "medium", but when they deviate from this norm, they do rarely go for a stark/heavy set neither (or perhaps is not a common practice in my area?)

I recently switched my good synthetic A to another Tricolore pure gut A-all the "power" you may ever need is in there-and your bow arm, of course. Barely any cons save for possible squeaking if you are not careful with your bowing. Stability, "power" (no kidding), all that's needed for the "modern" player is there.

Back to Thomastik/Infeld, I actually liked the Infeld Blue, and the Titanium Solo, including the pricey E. Of these, the latter is more "soloistic" in theory because even though both are "bright" in character, the TS have a fuller sound while retainjng all the edge you may need-though I admit their "sound" is better realized with its own E, which barely anyone uses-or gets used to.

(The Infeld Blue are fine, though.)

(Their tension is medium high, but do not feel tough on the fingers. Better value than my "nemesis", the unnecessarily expensive "super set", the Pi.)

September 26, 2018, 4:39 PM · I find the infeld blue quicker in response than Titanium solo. What is the differences between infeld blue and Vision Solo ( not the titanium version)
September 26, 2018, 6:51 PM · I never used the Vision Solo, but by most accounts they are a bit warmer than Vision Titanium Solo, so therefore, they *should* be more "solo" than Titanium Regular, but warmer than Infeld Blue. They *should* have a "strong" sound, but you really need to try them (sorry to repeat the usual advice.)

I think that if the Infeld Blue work and respond well for you and your violin, there's no shame in sticking with them, as I still believe the sound is mostly on your bow arm. Even some soloists (for what it's worth) use or have used that particular string, and I did like them when I was younger. Some violins benefit from this clean, powerful sound you stated above.

The "Solo" denomination, even in the VTS I like, is just a moniker. Dominant and Eudoxa are also true "solo" strings. Hope you find something you love and can use, though.

Westminster 27.5 is good-have you tried other Es for the Infeld Blue? I am thinking that Pirastro's Evah Pirazzi/Perpetual Platinum E may add some more "colors" to the tonal palette offered to your violin by the Infeld (it's more than just a "power E string", but there are two gauges.)

Edited: September 26, 2018, 8:21 PM · Dimitris, I find Infeld Blue and Vision Solo to be very different - in terms of focus rather than bright vs. dark. . To me, Infeld Blue are fuller - approaching the fullness of Dominants - while Vision Solo, like the other Vision strings, have more of a pronounced core and focus.
Edited: September 27, 2018, 2:23 AM · With Infeld Blue i matched the Westminster thick 27,5 . This E gives the other strings a bit warmer tone. I tried jargar medium, gold label e, cannone soloist e, and infeld blue e.i think none of them despite perhaps the cannone soloist can balance so well the other three.

I know that i have to try vision solo. I have try the most sets between the 60 -80 dollars price range. I do not want to give much more because i change my strings every 2 months. For me is more important a fresh string than an expensive string which i can not afford change so soon.
Infeld Blue in my violin and with my right arm is very good but you know... curiosity is like illness. In my mind stucks a thought " what if Vision Solo is a better set for my violin"... so my next set will be Vision Solo but i asked someone who tried both to tell me pros and cons.
I need the response of Blues , the tension of blues (not very stiff) but some more zzzz sound .
I think i ask too much :)

September 27, 2018, 11:04 AM · Maybe a switch of rosin? I cannot entirely understand zzzzzzz other than bow to string contact hiss (sorry if I misunderstand you.) Some rosins are "hissier" quite on purpose.

I have loved the Westminster E 27.5 in the past, but I figured I didn't want it to "warm up" the other strings. Noticed on my violin it ended up affecting it's brilliance and open sound for the worst, so now I basically use mediums of other brands (Goldbrokat, Hill, EP Platinum "Weich", etc.). I can see how the Westminster can be a good match for the Infeld Blue, though, and always liked it more than the Jargar Forte that so many love and use.

For true color on a budget, I would recommend some of the more affordable gut strings-they will also usually last beyond two months.

Enjoy your music.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings