2 Violins and viola or 3 violins plus orchestra

September 23, 2018, 4:39 AM · Hi
I’m looking for intermediate repertoire for 2 violins plus viola or 3 violins plus full orchestra. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Replies (9)

September 23, 2018, 9:26 AM · Dvorak's Terzetto. And there is a transcription of Bach's 3 part inventions for 2 violins and viola
Edited: September 23, 2018, 10:58 AM · From IMSLP:

2 violins, viola: Sinfonie concertante by Isidore Bertheaume (op. 6), Jean-Baptiste Davaux (op. 7), Carl Philippe Stamitz (no. 7), Rodolphe Kreutzer (no. 2) and Giuseppe Maria Cambini (no. 2). All late 18th to early 19th century. Stamitz and Cambini have the orchestra enumerated: 2oboes, 2 horns, strings, the others are likely to be the same, so not "full" orchestra.

3 violins: One entry only: Ferdinand Thieriot (1838 - 1919) op. 88. Only piano score on IMSLP; a score and parts might be hard to find (it was probably only published in piano score). Published in 1909, most likely a big orchestra. This might be the thing you are looking for if the music is any good.

If you can recruit a cellist to join you: You could look at Spohr's concerto for string quartet and orchestra. Might be worth the effort to find that cellist.

Edit: Sorry, I missed "intermediate" in your wish list. I think "intermediate" and "full orchestra" won't go together. Full orchestra means high level (not Paganini style difficult but demanding sound professional skills). There is a 3 violin concerto by Vivaldi with strings only. It may be playable.

September 23, 2018, 11:41 AM · If arrangements are acceptable, I once played a trio by Beethoven for 2 violins and viola. I believe the original was for 2 oboes and cor anglais. From memory it was intermediate level or even easier, technically.
September 23, 2018, 11:48 AM · There is a very good, not difficult, concerto for 3 Violins and small string orchestra by Telemann. It is in the Tafelmusik collection.
September 23, 2018, 8:10 PM · The Vivaldi 3 violin concerto isn't all that hard. I remember doing it pretty casually when I was thirteen or so.
September 24, 2018, 2:57 PM · like other people said above, forget "full" orchestra!
Edited: September 24, 2018, 4:07 PM · Thanks all. I know it’s a weird mix... that’s why I asked :) Our local community orchestra has their 10th anniversary next year and they are wanting to put on a variety concert. It was suggested we have a few of the more capable strings play something with the orchestra (which includes brass and woodwind), hence my question.

Cheers
Sonia

Edited: September 24, 2018, 5:37 PM · If you aren't insisting on the 3 violin version of such a concert there is Haydn's sinfonia concertante: violin, cello, oboe, bassoon. Quite rarely performed, something I find hard to explain. The violin solo is the hardest (including a recitative as the introduction to the last movement), the others ought to be accessible.
Edited: September 27, 2018, 8:11 AM · Symphonie concertante for 2 violins, viola & orchestra by Joseph Bologne Chevalier de Saint-George. It has been recorded, but I don't know if the sheet music is available.
https://www.allmusic.com/performance/sinfonia-concertante-for-2-violins-viola-orchestra-in-a-major-op-10-2-mq0000419401.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay