This has been on my mind for years.

September 21, 2018, 7:54 PM · I was helping a "student" with some stuff their actual teacher assigned, and...
I mean, come on. Half of Wohlfahrt's 60 etudes are just worse versions of Kreutzer etudes from decades earlier!

Replies (8)

September 21, 2018, 8:02 PM · Wohlfarht has a very nice book of progressive duets for beginner + teacher. They're very well done. Maybe he got lazy at some point.
September 21, 2018, 8:05 PM · Which half?
September 22, 2018, 9:20 AM · Half of my own teaching is just a worse version of what I did years ago.

I just don't know which half.

September 22, 2018, 5:07 PM · Half of my practicing (it's the better half, I suppose) might be a worse version of what folks like Pinchas Zukerman used to do at age 5....?
September 22, 2018, 7:33 PM · Cotton, what would be really interesting would be to read detailed analyses of those Wohfarht studies you are cautious about, compared, of course, with the Kreutzer etudes you consider to be more useful.

Years after he wrote The High School etudes, Popper wrote a collection of Preparatory to the High School (Opus 76) studies. His experience was many people needed a preliminary step ...

But your analyses would be a very insightful read. It might just be that your word "worse" is not quite chiming with people.

September 22, 2018, 10:49 PM · If you think Vole-fart is bad, try Sitt or Alard studies. Woof.
Edited: September 23, 2018, 3:53 PM · And never forget Schradieck, Ševcík, Rode, Spohr, Küchler, Mazas, ... It doesnt matter that much. Some of them may be more "musical", and others more "pure technical training", but in the end they had similar goals. It's natural that one finds parallels in them.
Personally, I prefer Mazas and Kreutzer because they are most fun to play (although I'm far from mastering them all at my current stage), but i do see the usefulness of systemstic drill like Schradieck or Ševcík. It just needs the right dosage to bear it. But Wohlfahrt isn't that bad, a few of his etudes even resemble "real music"... And they're useful and well graduated.
September 23, 2018, 6:05 PM · I prefer those excellent etudes of Mazas and Kreutzer too; but Wohlfahrt was standard when I was a beginning student, long ago, and I remember that I quite enjoyed playing some of them.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay