Varnish repair old German violin

Edited: September 17, 2018, 1:00 PM · I have the opportunity to buy an old Saxon violin from around the turn of the 19th century. I heard about it through a friend who knows the woman selling it, who has arthritis and can sadly no longer play as seriously as she used to. I paid her a visit to look at the instrument and try it out.

I went in with an open mind, since so often it seems that people don't really know what they have, but I was pleasantly surprised. I played a bit with the bow she had on hand, which wasn't in great shape, as she'd given the better bow that she used regularly to the daughter of a friend. Still, the violin sounded lovely, was comfortable to play once I adjusted to the slightly shorter neck than I am used to on my contemporary instrument. Structurally, it is in good condition, save for a small open glue seam near the tail, which doesn't concern me, since the wood was in good shape. I've never met a violin of that age that hasn't had the hide glue reapplied.

The main thing that concerned me was the state of the varnish, which seemed to be in poor condition. I suspect that at some point, probably long ago, the violin was cleaned by a well-meaning person who didn't know what they were doing. Is this something that I should be worried about, and could it be professionally repaired without damaging the acoustic qualities of the violin? It is by no means an exceptionally valuable instrument, so I doubt that it would change the value all that much, but it sounded good and suits my purposes as an amateur player.

Replies (3)

September 17, 2018, 1:23 PM · "Is this something that I should be worried about[?]"

Not necessarily.

"could it be professionally repaired without damaging the acoustic qualities of the violin?"

Very likely yes it could!

Show us some pictures of it? :)

September 17, 2018, 1:25 PM · I would, but they're all on my home computer, and I'm writing this from my work laptop!
September 17, 2018, 9:16 PM · best to leave the varnish alone

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay