How much bow hair loss before re-hairing?

September 17, 2018, 7:19 AM · How many hairs can a bow lose before you feel it has to be re-haired?

Replies (5)

September 17, 2018, 7:33 AM · Bow hair loss usually occurs on one side of the hair ribbon. When enough hair has been lost that it affects the curvature of the bow stick when tightened it is well into the time that the bow should be rehaired. Therefore, I would say that when you can notice hair loss on one side of the bow by the appearance of the hair ribbon it is time to rehair for that reason.
September 17, 2018, 7:48 AM · If you lose any significant amount of hair, it's time to get it rehaired. If you break a hair, make sure to clip it or use your fingernail as a fulcrum; you don't want to pull the hair out of the knots as this will perpetuate more hair loss. If your hair is stretched out or you find yourself hitting the stick more, time to get a rehair. I've written a nice article a while back on how often to rehair a bow, that covers some of these things in more detail: https://adbowsllc.com/2018/04/11/how-often-to-rehair-a-bow/
September 17, 2018, 8:45 AM · If the frog pulls back way farther than you remember before it gives you any tension, it's definitely time for a rehair.

Most people rehair when the hair stops taking rosin, though—when they notice that they've been pressing harder and getting less sound.

Edited: September 17, 2018, 6:55 PM · A little sidelight: when I was a beginner I mistakenly thought I would get more life out of my bow hairs by not tensioning the bow very much...until my bow rehairer informed me that a major cause of bow hairs breaking is getting trapped between the stick and the string. This is more likely to happen with an undertensioned bow. (Telling me this was a bad business decision on the part of my rehairer!)
September 22, 2018, 9:07 PM · If you have to ask this question, it's probably time... aka if the hair is visibly worn down.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings