Planetary pegs - do they increase or reduce the market value of an instrument

September 16, 2018, 11:03 PM · Does installing those kind of pegs hurt the resale value of a violin?
thanks

Replies (3)

September 16, 2018, 11:32 PM · I would say increase it for some people decrease it for others, for me it would decrease it.
September 16, 2018, 11:37 PM · They're only a fitting, like any other peg. They shouldn't affect value because they are easily enough changed to whatever makes you happy, like any other peg, tailpiece, or chinrest.

To me this is like asking 'Would fitting a teka chinrest change my violins value compared to a Guarneri chinrest?'

September 16, 2018, 11:47 PM · Obviolusly it will depend if the buyer wants to use Planetary Pegs or not.

If the buyer is happy about using geared pegs, it will not make any difference. It could even increase the value a bit for the saved cost of geared pegs. Otherwise, the buyer will think of the costs of having them removed and get new pegs fitted. That work in time and money will be reduced from the selling cost.
Geared pegs are not universally accepted by all players. I think it's always good to have more people interested, not the opposite.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings