Thoughts on Dominant Stark strings?

September 16, 2018, 9:29 PM · Can anyone share their experiences playing Dominant Stark strings? A Freire said they might be a good match on my violin. I am hoping to find a string that might help to give a more immediate response to my sound and overall projection.

I have played regular dominants before, but never have been impressed. Maybe Starks are a different experience.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Replies (4)

September 16, 2018, 10:29 PM · Stark strings are higher tension than "mittel" or "weich." Some instruments do not respond well to the larger downward fore the higher tension puts on the bridge, but some do well.

An expert hearing or playing your violin with the medium (or "mittel") Dominant strings should be able to tell you whether stark or weich strings might actually sound louder and richer on your violin. But from this distance we cannot tell.

September 17, 2018, 4:37 AM · You would play "harder" on heavier strings, and this may suite you, but extra power and brilliance is not necessarily guaranteed by cramping the wood vibrations. All depends.
September 23, 2018, 6:35 AM · Some violins respond more and sound more solistic with less tension...

Tension is not always the solistic way... it depends on the thickness of the plates and other variables

September 23, 2018, 8:15 AM · From my own experience, none of the 2 attributes you are looking for can be achieved by high tension strings. There are always exceptions, but responsiveness is better with low gauge strings. String choice has minimum to negligent impact on projection.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay