Rosin residue on violin?

Edited: September 16, 2018, 5:21 PM · There is some residual rosin on the wood between the bridge & fingerboard which isn't coming off with violin polish.

Can anyone recommend what to use to remove it?

Going to a luthier is inconvenient so I'd like to try DIY first.

Replies (10)

September 16, 2018, 5:23 PM · I would just leave it until a luthier can get to it, if just gently trying to brush it off with a microfiber cloth isn't adequate.
September 16, 2018, 5:24 PM · Spit on it.
Really. Just brush your teeth first.
September 16, 2018, 5:54 PM · Please, just don't...
September 16, 2018, 6:01 PM · Or, yes. Take it to a luthier so he can spit on it himself. Provided your mouth is clean, there is no safer alternative.
September 16, 2018, 8:06 PM · I agree with Lydia! Sometimes we use some pretty harsh chemicals, but the violin should be French Polished immediately afterward. So just wait until you can get it in or if it's real bad, make it a point to get in sooner than later.
September 16, 2018, 9:16 PM · I wasn't going to use alcohol or anything like that - just wondering if there's some sort of polish - but it sounds like it's best to just take it to a luthier. Thanks everyone for the advice :)
October 15, 2018, 4:22 PM · I really like Shar cleaner, but you should polish it afterwards. I used the Shar polish, and it works quite well, but make sure you don't let it get in to any cracks or open seams if you happen to have them (at that point, just take it to your luthier...)

I dab a little bit on a soft, old t shirt (white so I can tell it's working) and it should come off nicely.

October 15, 2018, 4:23 PM · I really like Shar cleaner, but you should polish it afterwards. I used the Shar polish, and it works quite well, but make sure you don't let it get in to any cracks or open seams if you happen to have them (at that point, just take it to your luthier...)

I dab a little bit on a soft, old t shirt (white so I can tell it's working) and it should come off nicely.

October 15, 2018, 8:30 PM · Rosin isn't soluble in water, spit, or any of the constituant enzymes of spit.

Just leave it alone until a luthier can look at it.

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=2136

Witness the occasional result of the DIY approach.

October 16, 2018, 9:44 AM · When I received my Fernando Solar violin from the seller in England in 1974 it already had rosin "baked into" the area under the bowing region. Nothing I tried could remove the rosin - no cleaners I owned, nothing that seemed safe-ish to use. The violin was only about 3 years old when I bought it!

It was another 25 years before I had moved near the Ifshin shop and had the money to have all my instruments "looked at." The result was lots of soundpost adjusting and some replacements, a number of bridge replacements, but for the Solar all they could see to do was clean off the rosin - they charged me $75 - but they did get the rosin off, and I've kept it off.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay