Help identifying a supposed Vuillaume bow

Edited: September 16, 2018, 2:33 PM · Recently was given a bow as a gift but is this a legit Vuillaume or Markneukirchen work? Some things led me to believe to believe it might be authentic like the non-collared adjuster, pins instead of nails in the silver mounting and the maker stamp in the “French” upside down way. Thanks for info and input.

Pictures of Bow

Replies (14)

September 16, 2018, 3:14 PM · There is just one picture of the bow, and that showing the maker's stamp. There are however dozens of other pictures that are completely irrelevant. Has there been a technical issue here?
September 17, 2018, 8:01 AM · Thanks, those four from drive.google are ok, but the experts (I'm not one) possibly may want one or two more detail shots. They'll doubtless tell you as necessary.
September 17, 2018, 8:55 AM · How do you like the bow?

I purposely bought a viola bow on ebay, labeled "C. BAZIN," that I knew in advance was not going to really be a French Bazin bow, but that turned out to be the best of my 4 viola bows - even though it is the least expensive. It was less than $400 for that or going $4,000 for a named current bow maker - I decided to take the risk. I couldn't be happier!

September 17, 2018, 9:31 AM · https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Old-4-4-Good-Condition-Violin-Bow-Branded-034-VUILLAUME-A-PARIS-034-/263929590985?hash=item3d736df4c9%3Ag%3AxP0AAOSwAnlblyXw&nma=true&si=YlU6xEfgCQJtbRvjxsaQdmZehYg%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
September 17, 2018, 1:38 PM · The most I’ve spent on a Chinese bow is $47 on eBay. It’s actually quite good - just as good as some Hill or Lupot bows I’ve tried. As far as this bow goes, it’s hard to know just by seeing photos. I would take your bow to an authority like Isaac Salchow.
September 17, 2018, 11:23 PM · I'm pretty sure Mr. Salchow doesn't want to be bothered with cheap CHinese knock off bows!
Edited: September 18, 2018, 12:22 AM · I’m sure Isaac would be happy to see it. I spent about a half hour with him the other day looking at Heifetz’s bows, in his shop. He rehairs both my Sartory and Chinese bow..
September 18, 2018, 2:53 AM · Nate's report encourages me to think I'm not simply club-handed to find cheap Chinese bows often work rather well - certainly well enough for my repertoire and technique. I've been inching away from the nice old bow I've used for decades, firstly towards a Sartory copy and lately a CF bow, both I suspect from the same eBay source as Nate's.
September 18, 2018, 3:54 AM · Out of the many tens of thousands of cheap bows produced in bulk, every once in awhile, you find a unicorn--everything just happens to be there, including the weight, balance, resilience, articulation, response, tone quality, etc. My local shop has them for ~$35.

But the reason one spends thousands of dollars on a bow is to not have to play several hundred to find a decent one...

Edited: September 18, 2018, 4:51 AM · So either I'm club-handed or very, very lucky? Actually I think it depends a lot on how you learn and what you learn. As one who long ago abandoned all thought of playing concertos (but who does decently enough in most of the chamber repertoire) bow properties simply aren't critical for me. What would Nate say I wonder?
September 18, 2018, 7:39 PM · Practice more? ;)
September 19, 2018, 10:12 AM · The sonic differences, as well as handling can be non-existant, subtle, or obvious.
Alot is dependent on the player and their sensitivities to the varoius attributes.
Just because you are an outstanding player doesn’t mean you can hear all the audible differences in bows. and vice versa.
September 20, 2018, 10:14 AM · " I'm pretty sure Mr. Salchow doesn't want to be bothered with cheap CHinese knock off bows!"

On the contrary--I'll bet Mr. Salchow would like the chance to both educate and add to his customer base.
When musicians go to a shop and start playing better equipment, their entire outlook and expectations change. That's why shops are often so willing to let people play instruments way outside of the stated price range.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings