Shoulder rests and cushions

September 16, 2018, 1:58 AM · When I first got my fiddle, I bought a cheap shoulder rest, which I found very useful, but now I prefer just the naked violin. But I've seen good players attach a little cushion underneath with a rubber band. Should I try this - are there hidden advantages, or is it purely personal taste?

Replies (8)

September 16, 2018, 6:40 AM · For years I’ve used a little leather pad which attaches with a rubber band and is only about 1/2 inch thick. The leather is fairly coarse and helps keep the violin from slipping off my collar bone. If it becomes slippery from wear I go over it with some coarse sandpaper to restore the texture. It’s called a Sostenuto and appears to have been discontinued by the manufacturer in Europe. I’m thinking about making my own when my present one wears out.
Edited: September 16, 2018, 7:06 AM · So it's just about friction, yes, I forgot to add that into the question.

However, are those rubber bands OK with the varnish? I know there are guitarists who are very wary of the rubber on guitar stands.

September 16, 2018, 7:07 AM · The little cushion helps with sliding and even a little padding is nice. It's only a few dollars, why not try it!? Some players also just use a folded cloth, this is good to protect the finish on the violin.
September 16, 2018, 7:22 AM · Welcome to Violinist.com Andrew,

I think you are fortunate to be able to play without a shoulder rest. It is ok to experiment with pads and cushions in the quest for supporting the instrument. A small cushion or folded handkerchief under your shirt may be just the ideal tool for your need.

September 16, 2018, 9:33 AM · Hi Andrew, does the stuff 'little cushion with a rubber band' you mention before is called magic pad/shoulder pad? I really want to try that stuff too! Have you buy it?
I am skinny, i can hold the violin without any shoulder rest but it kinda hurts my collarbone, especially when i have to practice more than an hour OR when the violin accidentally slips/slides.
I wonder if i hold the violin too tightly..
Edited: September 16, 2018, 11:34 AM · Glenn says it's called a "sostenuto". I'll look into getting one of those, but in the meantime, as I'm reckless, I ordered a piece of chamoix leather I saw cheap on Amazon, and I dare say I'll find some use for it! And I can try cloths too.

Hmm, I Googled it and found this: - https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/21121/

September 16, 2018, 11:33 AM · This is a very personal decision. Everyone is different, so it's up to you to find what is best for you. Shoulder pads and cushions come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, ranging from cleaning sponges to commercial products to home-made and customized shoulder pads.
September 23, 2018, 6:29 AM · You can take a thin sponge or whatever height you want and a leather chamois. Stitch the leather around the sponge in the shape you like and take a microsuction tape to stick it without rubber bands. I did that and the case "shoulder rest" is closed...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings