Avantegarde A

Edited: September 14, 2018, 7:10 PM · I've been sawing on Warchal Ambers since February (200 hrs). This week I installed the Avantgarde A. I don't know why, but I was expecting a wound string. Anyway it seems a good match for my violin. The Amber A was a little chewed up on the finger board side.

Replies (7)

September 15, 2018, 5:50 AM · Dave, are you using a fine tuner for the steel A?
September 15, 2018, 6:47 AM · I have a B&G carbon fine tuner but it's not essential. I like the stainless steel material that should be good for at least 250 hrs. Very easy to play.
Mr. Warchal recommends a fine tuner to avoid over stretching.
September 15, 2018, 10:26 AM · Whoops, wound string, my bad.
Does anyone have suggestions for D & G strings to work well with Amber E and this A?
September 15, 2018, 10:24 PM · I used Avantgarde A and Amber E with Tzigane G & D. I was happy with them. Tried that with Eudoxas and were also tonally good (though it was hard to me to adapt the bowing between gut D and steel. A... Not experienced enough)
I think Avantgarde and Amber are a good team of A&E with little change of tone between them. I think it's good to try them with any set that you like in the low strings but are less convincing in the higher ones.
September 16, 2018, 6:18 AM · I like the idea of silver wound strings for longevity.
My setup has a tall bridge. My intuition says lower tension strings, but maybe not.
September 17, 2018, 11:09 AM · There was a previous thread discussing the Amber E + Avantgarde A: LINK

I tried Evah Pirazzi Gold (silver D and silver G) with these strings as well. Nice, but EPG is unfortunately short-lived.

Currently I'm using a Brilliant Vintage D and G with these strings. It's a good combo. Blends well. (If you look at my latest performance on my YouTube channel, this is the combo being used.)

September 17, 2018, 12:53 PM · Thanks.Either the Brilliant or Vintage are on my list of prospects.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings