Make an Eastman 305 VIOLIN Project More/Louder?

September 13, 2018, 3:47 PM · I currently have Pirastro Chorda EADG on my violin. Which strings can I use to try and make it project over an orchestra better?

I've previously used Thomastik Vision Titanium solos (hated them), Kaplan vivos (impartial to them) and of course, the dominants (not impressed).

Should I try EPG? Perpetual? Passione?

Replies (19)

September 13, 2018, 4:06 PM · Huh. In all of your previous string threads, you didn't mention what you were playing.

An Eastman 305 is a $1,200 fiddle. Don't keep flushing money away on expensive strings. Take that money and put it towards an upgrade. Try some Tonicas, or maybe Warchal Brilliant, that are strings that don't cost a fortune and are still decent.

If you're routinely playing concertos with orchestras, borrow a solo instrument from someone if need be. See if your teacher is willing to lend you a violin, or knows someone who is willing to lend you a violin.

If you're playing a Mozart or Bach concerto and can't be heard over the orchestra, your problem is probably less the violin, and more either your sound production or (the most likely) that the orchestra is playing too loudly.

September 13, 2018, 5:12 PM · Chorda are really quiet violins strings because they are thin diametre, Eastman are really crappy violins, some where between those two is your problem.
September 13, 2018, 6:21 PM · With a violin like that, just chuck some steel strings on there.
September 13, 2018, 8:17 PM · I've got some Prims on my Eastman.
September 13, 2018, 9:00 PM · way to make a bright violin even brighter!!
September 13, 2018, 9:27 PM · I use it to remove paint when needed. Actually, it's a violin I tune down for Cajun music, so trying to recoup some sound.
September 13, 2018, 10:07 PM · Orchestras, especially at lower levels, are ALWAYS too loud. Insist that they play as quietly as possible, or have someone with some kind of musical authority listen from audience and insist on it.
September 14, 2018, 8:21 AM · Sound production in the situation - fast bow, more pressure, closer to the bridge. Look at a video of a concerto soloist in live performance and see what they are doing.

Remember that a concerto soloist's "p" can often be much more like "mf" than you'd expect, and when it comes to "f" and "ff" part of the trick is to start the note with a little "kick" (a mini "sfz", I suppose) with the first finger on the bow, which leaves the listener with the impression that the rest of the note is louder than it actually is.

September 15, 2018, 1:59 PM · Lydia. Just to clarify, I mainly play on a 1919 Wilkanowksi.
Edited: September 16, 2018, 1:25 PM · Mine is pretty loud with Helicores, but that may just be under my ear.
September 16, 2018, 4:18 PM · Alex, if you've got a better violin, why not use it for any performance with orchestra?

September 19, 2018, 3:07 PM · IT is a school instrument. What would be the best strings?
September 19, 2018, 6:08 PM · I'd consider putting Helicores on it.
September 21, 2018, 11:30 AM · why?
September 21, 2018, 12:12 PM · I haven't had good experience with D'darrio strings, If you're on any kind of a budget and want a great all around string I highly recommend Tonica, A real bargain in string quality.
September 22, 2018, 3:13 PM · I like Tonicas too, but the OP is looking for more power on a cheap violin, and I think the bright ring-y easy response of Helicores might do pretty well.

It sounds like the OP has a school fiddle that he uses for rehearsals, but he's not going to perform with it. I reckon that what that mostly needs is strings that are going to be nice and loud under the ear, and clear enough in a rehearsal room. Very different circumstance than projection in a hall.

September 26, 2018, 7:34 PM · If one were to upgrade bows for an instrument in this price range, what would be a reasonable amount to invest?
September 26, 2018, 7:56 PM · Necropost.
Start a new thread.
September 27, 2018, 5:41 PM · Necropost? Lol

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings