method book for violists in developing sight reading skill

September 12, 2018, 3:32 PM · I use Hohmann‚Äôs practical method books to help my violin students develop their sight reading skill. I wonder if there is anything similar to that written for viola? Or suggestion regarding to the study material of sight reading for violists?

Replies (6)

Edited: September 12, 2018, 8:02 PM · This would depend on the level of your viola students. If they have previous violin experience, reading through some of the Suzuki viola books should set them on the right path for sight reading viola music.

When I decided to develop some viola reading skill, I bought the Suzuki books 4 - 7 (as far as they went at the time) and just read through them. That kind of took care of it.

You might check IMSLP.org for collections of viola solos for those students who are more beginner level.

September 12, 2018, 6:29 PM · Whoever it was 500 years ago to assign the Alto clef to the Viola made a big mistake. If we used the now rare mezzo-soprano clef, middle C would be the second line from the bottom, third finger, third string, just like treble clef. Then Violinists could switch to Viola without retraining, just watch out for the accidentals.
Edited: September 12, 2018, 6:37 PM · I use a book of duets, my teacher and I play a different tune each lesson, always new unpracticed before. Surely there are duets books for violinists.
September 12, 2018, 8:25 PM · Isn't the alto clef the oldest clef? It was all the other instruments that moved away!
Edited: September 12, 2018, 10:16 PM · I tried what Andy Victor recommended -- Suzuki Books -- when I got my viola. It didn't work for me simply because I knew the tunes too well and I could play them all by ear. So it was too easy to cheat. What I found useful were the studies by Richard Hofmann. These are unknown to violinists. Moreover, they're harmonically random -- true garbage as far as composition is concerned -- which means they're not logical or predictable and you actually have to read the notes. But, they're easy enough for low-level players. And free (IMSLP).
September 13, 2018, 8:41 AM · Paul that is just a perfect answer to the OP. It's great to have you on this forum. It's not World Compliment Day but I can give compliments on other days too can't I :-)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings