Yuval Yaron plays the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto (live video)

Edited: September 10, 2018, 9:53 PM · One of today's great violinists who I've alway enjoyed listening to is the Israeli born violinist Yuval Yaron who now lives in the US. Aside from the big violin aficionados out there, many of the people I talk to in the field have sadly never heard of this great violinist. A musician of this caliber deserves to be heard and celebrated!

To give you a little background on the artist, he studied with Jascha Heifetz at USC and Josef Gingold at IU. He rose to prominence after winning the International Jean Sibelius Violin Competition in 1975, and toured internationally as a soloist. He has also devoted his life to teaching at both Indiana University and UCSB. Like his colleague Eugene Fodor, Mr. Yaron has used a Sergio Peresson violin.

You can hear some great influence from his teachers in this mind blowing performance of the Mendelssohn. I hope you enjoy it!

Replies (7)

September 10, 2018, 9:26 PM · When I was a student at Indiana, Yuval Yaron gave a recital of all six Bach Sonatas & Partitas, played without a break, from memory. It was amazing.
September 10, 2018, 11:16 PM · His Ysaye Sonatas are the greatest performance I’ve ever heard!
Edited: September 10, 2018, 11:54 PM · That must've been quite the concert to hear Mary Ellen! In some ways, I think that is more challenging to do than playing all 24 Caprices of Paganini in a concert.

Speaking of IU, I heard a live bootleg recording of Yuval Yaron playing the Brahms Double with Janos Starker. I believe it was with a Japanese orchestra. Also incredible. His Sibelius Concerto recording is up there with the very best in my opinion as well.

Yes Marty. I've heard that too about his Ysaye. A couple of my friends have told me that it's a great recording. I'm going to look for a copy. I'm sure he got a lot of genuine interpretive ideas on the sonatas from Gingold.

Edited: September 11, 2018, 1:24 AM · His technique is amazing in that video. But, that performance is not as musical as contemporaries like Perlman’s or Zukerman’s at the time, at least to my ear, and they must explain in part why he is less famous.

But, playing the Ysaye, I agree he was on fire.

September 11, 2018, 12:47 PM · Being ‘famous’ in the music world had more to do with being liked by Isaac Stern.
September 11, 2018, 10:26 PM · For that era, very true. My teacher also studied with Friedman, so i’ve heard the stories.
Edited: September 12, 2018, 1:40 AM · I was Erick Friedman’s last student. He told me a lot about Stern and how he destroyed many people’s careers including his in many ways. I could get into the details on here, but if you read the article by Aaron Rosand on Stern published on slippedisc.com it will give you a general idea of what Isaac Stern was all about.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings