side of index finger hitting E string when trying to do a slide with pinky on A string

Edited: September 9, 2018, 11:06 PM · I'm playing E as a drone against the A string, and also trying to slide up and down from the E note on the A string with my pinky (as a unison to the open E).

The area around the base of my index finger is hitting the E string most times when I try this. The sound is most unmusical.

The 1 and 2 fingers are also down on the A string at the same time, as I immediately play those notes after the slide.

How do I correct this?

Replies (6)

September 10, 2018, 6:29 AM · Rotate your hand.
September 10, 2018, 10:46 AM · and- maybe bring the thumb a little more under the neck to get a better angle with the 4th finger. Shifting with the 4th finger is part of the training, but in real life, in real music, it is uncommon. Sliding down on a 4th finger- Yes. But shifting up on the 4th finger is risky. If you have 4th finger on E and want to replace it with 1st finger E, then break the rules a little, move on the 1st finger, B --> E, not on the 4th finger
September 10, 2018, 1:27 PM · It's possible that your left elbow is not hanging directly under the violin but is rather a little too far too the left (under-rotated). I tell my students that if they are standing in a rainstorm with their violin in playing position (not recommended!) their left elbow should stay dry.
September 10, 2018, 5:32 PM · I don't quite understand what you are doing here. You are playing a melody on the A string while the open E has to drone along? Then what are doing with your pinky that you call "sliding" while fingers 1 and 2 are down on the A? But I'd say you have to make sure your fingertips hit the strings vertically. That way they occupy the least space on the fingerboard. In the worst case move them a bit so they touch the D string.

I have similar problems quite frequently. Take the chord a e c e (1 on G and D, 2 on A, 0 on E). It is hard to keep the second finger from touching either of the neighboring strings. I can barely do it and I have no idea how people with larger hands would cope.

September 13, 2018, 7:35 AM · Ha, my second fingertip got chopped off when I was 6 and sewn back on again, so it's fat and crooked. Never mind, I'll do what I can and not worry about what I can't: I don't have any immediate plans to take over from Itzak Perlman. (at the moment I can't stop the G string with any finger without touching the D string)
September 14, 2018, 11:11 AM · Andrew, your post has me confused, or should we call you David?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings