Oliv/Evah -rosin vs Evah Pirazzi Gold -rosin

September 8, 2018, 3:40 PM · It seems that no one haven't noticed my question in my "Obligatos vs Kaplan Amos" thread's answering box. I recommend you to read that discussion before you answer to this thread.

So, I'm using Oliv/Evah rosin now, but 'cause my new bow I can't get the same, warmth sound like before. How much warmer sound I'll get if I upgrade from my Oliv/Evah rosin to Evah Pirazzi Gold rosin? Is that a good rosin for Obligatos at all? :)

Replies (5)

September 8, 2018, 3:45 PM · Or how about the others rosins what are softer than Evah Pirazzi and have very warm and dark sounding?
September 8, 2018, 3:57 PM · Sometimes I wonder if all those rosins from Pirastro are a marketing tool to sell more rosin. If it makes sense to match the brand of rosin to the brand of string, then the next step would be to have a different rosin for the E and G strings, which are under different tension and behave very differently under the bow, but of course we can't do that.
Edited: September 8, 2018, 5:10 PM · Rosins definitely do mske a difference, but I'd rather classify them fro hard to soft (as Pirastro also does on their website) than by theit fit to a certain string brand. The rosin does not only have to match the strings, but also the ibstrument, the bow and the player. And no matter the string (vision titanium, dominant, obligato, eudoxa), on my violin and primary bow I prefer Jade rosin, with my very light secondary bow which us a modern model but plays a bit like a baroque bow obligato rosin tends to give a bit more grip at least on the eudoxa strings. On my viola with obligato strings I prefer oliv, although obligato and jade rosins are very close...
This year my rosin collection has grown: Bernadel, Jade, Obligato, Oliv, Eudoxa, Salchow. I havent tried the really expensive ones, and none of the harder Pirastro, but I know already I prefer a softer one, and even rela zu uvely similar ones on the pirastro hardness scale do make a difference. (Obligato, Oliv and Eudoxa are direct neighbours if I remember correctly.)
No answer to your question, I know, but I believe it's just like that, and there is no simple answer.
Edited: September 8, 2018, 5:20 PM · A softer bow stick will need more tear and less pushing, same with wound gut strings, and probably even more with plain guts. I've got no experience with these, maybe someone else could jump in here.
The more tear you need, the softer a rosin will be needed to grab the string. The less you have to push, the warmer the sound may get. Which does not necessarily mean "the softer, the warmer". Too soft for the string/instrument/bow/player-combo can sound pretty dead... at least in my situation.

And yet I didn't go into the amount of hair...

September 8, 2018, 5:21 PM · Rosins do not meaningfully color the sound. The rosin you like will be some combination of your climate, your physical approach, and the interaction between the type of bow hair you use and the strings you use.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings