Which brands of strings are more suitable for my violin?

Edited: September 8, 2018, 4:36 AM · Over the years, I've acknowledged that my violin is a really sharp sounding Italian violin especially in the E string range, which is why I'm looking for a brand of string that not only has a POWERFUL/LOUD projection (I want the E string to be loud but not so sharp since my instrument is already soft/sharp itself) but also could make a wide range of brilliant tones, that has a quick response. However, I'm not planning on buying the dominant set (E is too soft and sharp for my violin) or Evah Parazzi Gold (too expensive and the lifespan is way too short from my experiences). Does anyone have any suggestions? It would mean a lot if you could help me :)

Update: Thanks for the suggestions and feedback! I was wondering, what about the A,D,G strings as well? The Evah Gold works really well on my violin at first due to its powerful richness and warm sound, but the duration is just way too short and the tone went downwards only a while afterward. Any other suggestions?

Replies (8)

September 8, 2018, 1:16 AM · It sounds like you're looking for string that is warm, but will still project really well. In that case I would give daddario kaplan amo a try. It's thought of as a warm soloist set. It gives you the projection you want, but doesn't sacrifice the warm tone at the same time. You could also try obligato, but in my opinion they don't project that well on a lot of violins. Very beautiful sounding strings though.
Edited: September 8, 2018, 5:40 AM · Ignoring the price, Eudoxa might be worth a thought, too. They were able to calm down my E even better than Obligato, with slightly easier response an way better projection. But still gut core, so you shouldn't mind retuning regularly.
September 8, 2018, 4:05 PM · I would recommend Passione gut Strings from Pirastro, you might have to slightly change your style of playing as gut strings generally do like to be 'forced' and rather prefer being 'pulled'. The sound under the ear of gut strings is also something different, as they might sound a little 'muffled', although that is just the complexity of sound but from a distance they are fabulous. If not gut, I would recommend Larsen Virtuoso (medium) and the E string has a lovely roundness to it.
September 8, 2018, 4:36 PM · Passione are certainly very good but I am not sure they solve the problem of "sharpness". I switched from Olive to Passione because Olive strings go out of tune before I am done with the first movement. Passione are a lot more stable. But they sound a bit more aggressive compared to Olive (on my fiddle they are not "sharp" but on an instrument that tends to go in that direction they might) and not quite as responsive when I attempt to influence the tone. On the other hand they are better at projection. They also take a bit of playing before they sound their best. A new D in particular begins behaving as if there were no rosin on the bow and only after several hours does it perform well.
Edited: September 8, 2018, 5:41 PM · Keri, by a "sharp" E string sound, I assume you are talking about what we usually call "brightness."
Have you had a professional luthier check your soundpost to be sure it is set properly to give your E string the best possible sound. Brightness can sometimes come from too much power in a certain overtone range. This can be reduced by moving the soundpost a bit (mm or less) inward toward the A string or a bit further "south" of the bridge. At least that has been my limited experience.

Other than that I found the Goldbrokat E string to be non-agressive (at least compared to the Peter Infeld Platinum E, that I love - powerful but not overly bright).

September 8, 2018, 5:40 PM · Sharp E string? Try carving a bridge thicker on the treble side and playing with the soundpost (or take it to a luthier—your choice).

As for the rest of the strings, Gamuts.

Edited: September 8, 2018, 6:15 PM · You might consider a wound e string, Thomastik Dominant makes one as does Pirastro for Eudoxa.
September 8, 2018, 6:44 PM · If you like Evah Pirazzi Gold, but you're looking for a longer-lasting less-expensive string, try Warchal Brilliant (or Brilliant Vintage if you have an older violin).

Peter Infelds are good too, but as expensive as EPGs (but somewhat longer-lasting).

Really, though, if you want your violin to sound its best, and it is a fairly expensive instrument, I'd just use whatever sounds best. There's no point in splurging on a violin and then not putting the best possible strings on it, really.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings