Violin Exam: General Knowledge

September 6, 2018, 10:01 PM · I have my AMEB violin exam in a week and i completely forgot about general knowledge. What should i prepare for it? My pieces are:
- Mendelssohn Violin Concerto (2nd Mov)
- J.S. Bach Gigue and Sarabande in D minor
- Kreutzer Etude no.30
- Prokofiev/ Arr Heifetz: Romeo and Juliet, Masks.
Thank you!

Replies (4)

September 7, 2018, 4:37 AM · Here is a link to a list of DipABRSM viva voce questions, which looks like it's the same level but slightly more in-depth than whichever AMEB exam you're taking:

https://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?s=bd97d3160e249135a1713eda9e7d394c&showtopic=58928

September 7, 2018, 8:17 PM · Thank you Chris
September 28, 2018, 6:54 AM · The AMEB handbook includes statements about what should be prepared for General Knowledge at each level. (You do own the current book, don't you!!)
Even if you forgot about General Knowledge, how is it that your teacher also forgot?
My own experience in exams is that several aspects can establish a good odour in the exam. You smell pretty if you do the technical work (well) before you play the pieces. You add more rosy vibes if you do well in your aural test component. Of course, you have prepared for sight reading, too. And, while the General Knowledge will not be tested until after you have played your pieces, you can certainly keep the warmth working if you top off the exam with obvious and thorough preparation for this.
Seriously, this is an aspect of the assessment that you must make work for you.
Very good luck. (I hope I am in time for these comments to help you.)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings