That occasional surprise

September 6, 2018, 4:58 PM · My current student (I only teach one at a time) blew me away today. As a teenager starting High School he isn't the most dedicated player when it comes to practice. Looking for a bit of inspiration, I asked him to tell me the name of a piece of music he wants to play just for fun. (FWIW: My personal fun music is show tunes and hymnody)

He came over and informed me that what he wants to learn to play "for fun" is Vivaldi's Summer, movement III. YIKES! Not at all what I anticipated. We actually got through the first 15 measures. Way below Presto, but I'm impressed if not a bit awed. I think it is time for me to find him his next teacher.

I generally pass my students along when they have solid fundamentals and can play up to third position and he's been getting closer and now...

I already have alerted my cadre of "next teachers" it will be an interesting transition and then I have to find the next beginner.

Replies (1)

September 6, 2018, 4:58 PM · Congratulations! and best wishes to your student for his future success.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings