Looking for Latin Themed Lead Violin cd

September 6, 2018, 4:05 PM · Not sure if this is the right place to post this, since it seems tastes run decidedly classical.

I'm looking for some Latin dance music which features a lead violin, and is working in some percussive-like bowing, at least some of the time. Some of the stuff I've found with violin is too smooth, like a string section playing romantic music.

One cd I found that leans in this direction is "El Violin Latino - Vol. 2 for Octavio", by Gregor Huebner. I'm looking for more instrumental and less singing though. Sorry if this is somehow off-topic or out of genre.

Replies (14)

September 6, 2018, 4:44 PM · I'm enjoying Huebner, whether he's playing Latin or not.
September 6, 2018, 5:57 PM · Augustin Hadelich has an album of tango music (violin and guitar).
September 6, 2018, 5:58 PM · I saw that name. I’ll check it out.
Edited: September 6, 2018, 10:22 PM · There's a very Special Album, "Payo Bach", by violinist Ara Malikian and flamenco guitar player José Luis Montón.
"Payo" is how gipsies in Spain call non-gipsies.

It is a fantastic Flamenco guitar with violin interpretation of Bach's works, and it moves your feet, whether you like flamenco or not!

Here a taste:

September 7, 2018, 6:05 AM · I don't know about lead violins, but have you tried carbon fiber instead?
September 7, 2018, 8:01 AM · Not good for playing Led Zeppelin.
Edited: September 7, 2018, 8:14 AM · @Carlos, thanks. Not finding that album on iTunes or Amazon, but will keep looking. If nothing more, I have an artist name to research.
September 7, 2018, 10:21 AM · It's in both. I got it in itunes, and here's the amazon link J. L. Monton, A. Malikian: Payo Bach https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AM5Q31S/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_XBPKBb5D9ZFA8

September 7, 2018, 10:40 AM · Do you know about Mariachi bands? Violin is very important in this music.
Edited: September 7, 2018, 11:13 AM · @Carlos, that worked, and it worked when I put both of their last names in. Did not work with "Payo Bach".
September 7, 2018, 11:10 AM · @Guglielmus, I'm listening to some Mariachi music right now, but the violin does not seem to be a lead or solo instrument in it. More of a string section thing. And too often playing in unison with the horns. Maybe it's just the cd's I've listened to so far.
September 7, 2018, 11:56 AM · Latin dance music that features the violin; the classic tango orchestra from Argentina. The old 'Charanga" orchestra from Cuba.
Mariachi from Mexico. Mariachi started as all strings. The trumpet was added in the 1930's and the 2 trumpet arrangements became the standard in the 1950's. The best groups have a balance between the trumpet and violin sections and alternate the lead. There are some very good recordings of ball-room dances, waltzes, paso-dobles, polkas, Danzones, done by M. Vargas, arrangements by Ruben Fuentes. My opinion is that the best arrangements of pasodobles are the Mariachi versions; no clarinets, no percussion. For a flashy solo violin style from Mexico-- Huasteco violin-guitar trios. ~jq (ex-Mariachi Los Camperos, Uclatlan, Sol de Mexico,...)
September 7, 2018, 12:15 PM · Pay dirt: Trio Chicamole Son Huasteco.

The other Huasteco groups I pulled up had no violin.

Thanks.

Edited: September 8, 2018, 10:12 AM · Yes! The youtube clips of Trio Chicamole show the traditional huasteco trio. The Violin is necessary. It is a difficult genre to try because you also need the special instruments; the jarana huasteca and the huapangera, made of cedar, that have chord charts unlike the standard guitar. And you need singers that can do falsetto. The strum patterns are similar to some flamenco technique, with golpes and redobles.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings