Is the violin part of my transcription playable?

September 6, 2018, 3:48 AM · I have transcribed Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565, for violin and cello. The score is up on IMSLP (https://imslp.org/wiki/Toccata_and_Fugue_in_D_minor%2C_BWV_565_(Bach%2C_Johann_Sebastian). I am wondering if the violin part is playable in its entirety by a professional violinist given enough practice. The difficult sections are those with rapid double stops (16th note, quarter note = 100). I intended this transcription to be a showpiece for both instruments.

Also, before this, I have arranged Bach's Chaconne in D minor, BWV 1004, for two violins. The score is on IMSLP, and it would be nice if someones can play it, film themselves while doing so, and post the video of the performance on YouTube.

Replies (5)

September 6, 2018, 10:39 AM · May I respectfully suggest that if you want professional-level performances of your arrrangements on Youtube, that you contact professional players yourself and make arrangements for an appropriate level of compensation for their time and effort. You are asking people to do quite a lot of work, for your benefit, for no compensation.

I don't mind taking a quick look at a score and giving an opinion, although I don't have time this morning. But preparing and posting a performance is quite another matter.

Edited: September 6, 2018, 2:06 PM · An interesting irony here. There is an IMO credible theory that (1) this piece was originally for solo violin in the first place, perhaps in Am (which works better). And (2) that Wilhelm Friedemann Bach wrote it. The latter really makes sense to me because J. S. was someone who could actually write a fugue for solo violin, and that fugue in the T&C is pretty clumsy compared to anything J. S. ever did. Where's the counterpoint?--it seems much more a mid-18th-c. idea, and not at all J. S. Bach's style, on violin OR organ, for that matter. I'm surprised that it was accepted as authentic in the first place.

Splitting the Chaconne up into a duet strikes me as an odd concept. Who among us would want to play half the Chaconne?

September 6, 2018, 5:28 PM · A lot of famous violinists have played versions of BWV 565. You can find a bunch of the recordings on youtube.

September 6, 2018, 6:31 PM · If Christopher Wolff says J.S. Bach wrote it, then he definitely wrote it...
September 8, 2018, 11:25 PM · Marty, the arguments against that are pretty convincing, Christopher Wolff notwithstanding. Truly, there is no other piece of J. S. Bach's like it (you've got an example?), and its provenance is vague at best. It is written in the galant style, not J. S. Bach's...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings