Obligato vs Kaplan Amo or others

September 5, 2018, 2:45 PM · Hi! :)

My old bow ripped and the shop sent my a new one. It gives me a little bit brighter sound and it's stiffer than the old one. I'm using obligatos now, but they don't sound so dark and warm as with old bow. They sound too bright now, at least the G string.

I've been thinking that what will be my new string set? How about Kaplan Amos, are they warmer and darker than obligatos? I was wondering gut strings, but then I must change my tailpiece 'cause I have fine tuners atm. Are gut strings harder to play for me than synthetic strings? (I'm playing Dvorak's Humoresque (easy Suzuki Book 3 version) and Vivaldi A minor soon)

Replies (4)

Edited: September 5, 2018, 3:44 PM · Two reasonable strings to consider in that situation would be Pirastro Tonica or D'Adario Pro Artes (both of which I have on an instrument right now, and both of which are reasonably cost efficient and dark-sounding).

My off-the-cuff sense is that ~book 3-4 level is probably too early to bother with gut strings, unless most of the following are true: you are really sensitive to sound quality, you have superb bow attack control you don't mind adjusting precisely, or you have deep pockets and just want to try out different strings. :-)

Gut certainly sounds like nothing else, though in my experience it forces you to change your bow attack, and requires frequent minor retunings, so on my particular instruments, it mostly wasn't worth the bother. The expense may be a wash since the strings cost a lot more but also last quite long compared to the better synthetics.

September 5, 2018, 8:26 PM · I would saay...
try guts.
September 5, 2018, 10:30 PM · I have posted before that I recommend the use of gut, Eudoxa in particular, even for beginners.
I believe that the natural requirement of gut to have more careful speed, angle and soundpoint is benefical in the technique of the student. Gut sounds really good when bowed right, and it really doesn't if it's not done right. I think that restriction is good for the student, albeit frustrating in the beginning.
Kaplan Amo is more expensive than Eudoxa, even with the recommendable Stiff G&D.

However, the retuning issue is a real one and must be taken into account. If the player's environment changes too often it might be even impractical. Also if you don't have the habit of tuning by the pegs, that's a wall.

But those considerations are regardless of the level. I don't think that there is a "too soon" for gut. Just that the habits of one or another may or may not make gut an option.

September 7, 2018, 3:01 PM · How about if I change my rosin from Evah/Oliv -rosin to Evah Pirazzi Gold -rosin? How much warmer sound I'll get and it is good for Obligato strings? (Obligato-rosin is too bright for mee)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings