Carbon Fiber bows

September 5, 2018, 2:41 PM · I'm doing an in-home trial with a Codabow Diamond GX, JonPaul Avanti and JonPaul Carrera. So far, the Codabow feels the best to me.

This is my first time ever trying a CF bow in my 35 years of playing and I like it.

Was curious of others opinions on these bows although I know ultimately it's on me and how I feel playing with them. Any input is appreciated!

Replies (6)

September 5, 2018, 2:46 PM · https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=1909
September 5, 2018, 3:24 PM · Thanks!
September 6, 2018, 7:55 AM · The Coda GX is going to "play" most like a real pernambuco bow and tend to be real consistent among them. The JonPauls are nice, but even in each model line, they tend vary a bit more than the Coda's. I really like the JonPaul Corona, a little less then the GX around $600 I think, but has some nice playing qualities to it as well.
September 6, 2018, 9:06 AM · To me, the JP Avanti (and higher-end JP bows) play the most like higher-end pernambuco bows. The Avanti feels like a very "neutral" stick to me, without any particular quirks.
September 7, 2018, 6:10 PM · Thank
You all! I appreciate the input. I’m still leaning towards the Codabow ??
September 7, 2018, 7:09 PM · The Codabow Diamond GX is the most high end CF bow I've tried and it can be almost but not quite as good as a good pernambuco bow in the same price range. (Not quite true: I tried a JonPaul of my teacher's once and thought it was great but it was no longer being made.) Regarding consistency: I think I tried 8 of them in one session and had a clear favorite. The others did all feel the same to me. My take-away is: try a bunch with you favorite wood stick for comparison. The bows are (or at least were) stamped with a serial number so you can keep track of them.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings