Violin bow stings are loose, but the screw won't tighten anymore! What should I do?

Edited: September 4, 2018, 5:51 PM · Hello! I was practicing for a youth orchestra audition when I noticed that my sound production wasn't great; my bow hairs were so loose that the hairs in the middle of my bow touched the wood every time I played! I tried to tighten it but the screw wouldn't budge. I can loosen the hairs no problem but the hairs just won't tighten to how I need it to be. I don't know if the hairs are stretched out or if there's something wrong with the screw. Is there any way I can fix this in time for the audition?
Thank you for your time.

Replies (3)

September 4, 2018, 6:00 PM · 1. Loosen the screw all the way and withdraw it from the end of the bow.
2. Screw the screw shaft into the eyelet that is attached to the frog as far as it will go.
3. If it jams or gets stuck, do not force it, but withdraw it instead.
4. Apply soft pencil lead to the screw shaft and try screwing it in again.
5a. If it screws in all the way, you may have solved your problem. Remove the screw once more, reassemble the frog to the bow shaft and reinsert the screw.
5b. If the screw did not screw in all the way in the eyelet - get help!
September 4, 2018, 6:38 PM · sounds like you may need a rehair if the above doesn't work
September 4, 2018, 7:57 PM · Thank you so much!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings