50 years ago and now

September 4, 2018, 8:57 AM · As far as I can tell, tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of my first attendance of the local youth orchestra, MCYO, as a bass player. I was in 10th grade with one year of self-taught playing in school and one summer camp behind me.

You can imagine how blown away I was by the proficiency and excellence of my peers. Also scared s*tless at the prospect of being discovered as a fraud.

MCYO met every Wednesday in the music room at Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and it gave me the first regularly scheduled free time to be away from my parents, who, while well-meaning, were by this time stifling and overbearing.

I gave up the bass after high school...until last week.

Last week I had my first ensemble rehearsal as a fledgling violinist and one of my new colleagues had a fine looking double bass.

Through the years I had always carried this rather smug feeling (kinda like carrying an ace in your pocket) that returning to the bass would be relatively easy, like riding a bicycle.

"Hey, I used to play one of those things".

"Go ahead and try it".

So I did. Sorta.

I tried but couldn't.

Couldn't find my left hand placement.

Couldn't press the strings.

Couldn't bow straight.

I couldn't do anything and totally embarrassed myself.

How disconcerting to have your own fifty year old myth suddenly go up in smoke.

However, in reality, I love being a beginner (hopefully not too long) in violin and this example is just another of life's little curveballs.

Replies (6)

September 4, 2018, 10:16 AM · I had a similar experience with one of my teachers at high school. I had walked out of a practise room violin in hand, he saw me and said "I used to do that!". So I gave him my violin and bow, and he played (not very well). But he was extremely pleased with himself after
September 4, 2018, 3:28 PM · I remember that rehearsal room at BCC well. :-) (MCYO 1974-1978; was in the junior orchestra a few years before that.) Hope you have a wonderful new journey ahead!
September 5, 2018, 12:05 PM · Viola da gamba seems to me as an instrument way more gentle on body & mind.
September 5, 2018, 12:41 PM · My Dad was really a violinist and violist, but he taught himself the lower instruments well enough to play the bass part of the Trout on either (and, I think, teach the Double Bass in school).
September 5, 2018, 7:13 PM · Rocky I just bought a viola da gamba about 6 weeks ago and will have my 2nd lesson this Saturday. I have been trying to teach myself violin for almost 3 and a half years now, and though I've made a lot of progress from a zero starting point, I'm sure I'd be further along if I'd taken lessons. I've decided that, at least with this viol, I will take lessons and try some discipline and guidance in my study. It's not just the instrument I love, but the 16th thru early 18th-century consort repertoire. Indeed much more gentle on the body and mind (and soul) than the vast majority of music over the recent few hundred years.
September 6, 2018, 3:47 PM · I just tell myself that the bass is like the bottom four strings of a guitar. That serves me well enough that I can fill in until the bass player gets back from the bathroom (by which time my hands are exhausted).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings