Mendelssohn Violin Concerto

September 4, 2018, 7:50 AM · Hi guys, I might be starting on Mendelssohn violin concerto, and would like to know if there is a particular order in which people learn the movements? For example, shouls I play the first, second or third movements first? Thanks a lot!

Replies (2)

Edited: September 4, 2018, 8:40 AM · I think people who are not taking lessons may start on the 2nd movement, which has lower technical bowing requirements. That's how I started approaching it (without a teacher) at age 14. I then worked on the rest of it. Then I undertook the Beethoven because my 16th birthday present was to be attending Heifetz performance of the Beethoven with the Baltimore Symphony (what an experience that was).

But I think a serious violin student - I mean one who might have a realistic goal of becoming professional, would have the technique for playing the whole thing before starting on it.

I was concertmaster of our community orchestra when Anne Akiko Meyers at age 12 honored our orchestra by playing the Mendelssohn concerto with us (after she had played it with the LA Phil). Frankly, it was as fine a performance as I have ever heard. I can't imagine that she had not been technically prepared to play the whole thing before she started to study it. She had also played less challenging concertos with our orchestra when she was 6 and 7.

September 4, 2018, 11:23 AM · If you have the technique to play the whole thing (which hopefully you should), it's better to work sequentially through a concerto, starting with the first movement.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings