Rosin

September 3, 2018, 5:55 PM · I find that even dark rosin does not meet my requirements for stickiness. I've started to use Pop's bass rosin on my bow, because it gives me the most snappy, bitey sound with plain guts (while also not being grainy). How some people use light rosin sparsely applied is absolutely beyond me...
Using light rosin was like trying to cross a frozen river wearing flip-flops holding a sack of bricks.

Maybe I've only tried crummy rosins? I haven't tried many, admittedly. Only 3 kinds.
Pirastro Gold, Kaplan Dark, and Hidersine violin rosin.

Replies (12)

September 3, 2018, 6:00 PM · Magic Rosin has at least three grades of rosin hardness. The stickiest is their "X."
September 4, 2018, 2:15 AM · Can I ask why your requirements are different from those of other players (who are quite happy with all sorts of rosin)? Does it have something to do with your bow, your violin or the music you play?
September 4, 2018, 3:52 AM · Steve,

Cotton makes many interesting and creative choices in regards to their violin and playing. This is quite in line with the norm!

I'm not sure I've ever considered going as soft as bass rosin, but I have been quite happy with cello rosin a few times. But then again I play viola so more stick is desired.

Maybe try a viola or cello rosin instead of a bass rosin. There is also always Jade. Most bass rosin I've found has been *too* soft to get a clean tone, coming from a guy who likes sticky rosin.

(I use Larica gold III, personally, but they have softer grades)

September 4, 2018, 5:45 AM · For me the trick has been to develop better skill and responsiveness in the fingers of my right hand. It wasn't until I decided to perform a Mozart Sonata that I really understood how critical that was, but with the help of my teacher and by studying certain pieces (Mozart, Mozart, and Mozart), I gained a lot of ground. Still working on it, but I find now that I don't really notice it so much if I forget to rosin my bow when I start practice (usually it becomes obvious about half an hour in, though).
September 4, 2018, 12:53 PM · Give Melos Dark a try, sticky yet smooth for fine playing.
September 4, 2018, 1:02 PM · The better your right hand becomes and the better the bow that it wields the less "sticky" rosin you will need.
For some styles of fiddling, perhaps the sticky rosin will always work best, but Pops on a fine bow simply negates all of the greqat things that the bow can do for you. That is provided you are able to tame the bow that you have...easier said than done.
September 4, 2018, 1:54 PM · "Using light rosin was like trying to cross a frozen river wearing flip-flops holding a sack of bricks."

I must admit this imagery didn't encourage me to use light rosin.

September 4, 2018, 1:57 PM · A popular dark rosin it looks like you haven't tried is Pirastro evah oliv. It's super dark and for me it feels good on gut strings.
Edited: September 4, 2018, 4:11 PM · It seems that keeping just the right amount of rosin on the bow is a fine point in the art of playing. Too little with a harder rosin and the strings can sort of "glass over" and refuse to react in a musical way. After playing a session where beautiful sounds and nice response flow the strings tend to be fully encased in rosin but almost no rosin dust lies on the instrument. The harder rosins might be less forgiving with the amount applied. I'm going to try Larica II to see if it is more forgiving than the harder, lighter rosin I've been using.

P.S. Maybe the successful rosins of the future will have multi-viscosities like car engine oils?

Edited: September 4, 2018, 9:45 PM · O P - Could your bow be too tight?
S S Does Andrea not have a new rosin with two grades?

Good grief. Sorry for all the repeats.

September 4, 2018, 7:35 PM · Well, switch to viola, cello and then double-bass rosin. Have fun.
September 5, 2018, 10:33 AM · I use inexpensive Hidersine Cello rosin for violin/viola.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings