Sequence of Sonatas

September 3, 2018, 12:01 AM · Hi guys, in what order should I learn violin-piano sonatas? Is it adviceable to start with Mozart?

Replies (6)

September 3, 2018, 12:45 AM · One generally gets started on Händel, e.g. the F-Major sonata. Or, if you like something more intense, Vivaldi's opus 2.

An alternative to Mozart, IMHO preferable for beginners, would also be one of the Schubert sonatinas* if you consider Händel--technically correctly--not a violin piano sonata..

But seriously: there is no mandatory sequence, any piece within your reach (technically) is ok. I really recommend to respect your teacher's judgement on these questions.

* These sonatinas are called "sonatas" in some newer editions because Schubert called them "sonatas" in his manuscript. They were published well after Schubert's death and the publisher back then chose for whatever reason to call them "sonatinas". They had been "sonatinas" ever since and everybody knows what they are. Personally I find it silly to change a name that has been in use for well over 100 years just for some irrelevant accuracy.

September 3, 2018, 5:47 AM · Thanks a lot Albrecht!
September 3, 2018, 10:05 AM · It's interesting that the Handel Sonatas appear as some of the first multi-movement ones in the Suzuki books. They're actually not that easy. I might look first at the Mozart sonatas (underplayed gems), and the Dvorak Sonatina before tackling Handel.
September 3, 2018, 12:53 PM · Of the several violin sonatas I have tried to teach myself, I have had the most success and pleasure with the Sonata in G minor by William Croft.

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/sonata-g-minor-sheet-music/6052428

I also enjoy the Corelli sonatas Op. 5, especially Book 2 which I find easier than Book 1.

September 3, 2018, 4:50 PM · I disagree with Scott about the difficulty of Mozart sonatas. The early ones are certainly easy but that is because the pianist plays 90% of the music. The later ones, that are much more rewarding are by no means all that easy. The famous one in A-Major is as hard as some of the Beethoven sonatas. As to Händel: They vary much in difficulty but there are definitely playable ones like the one in F I mentioned.
September 4, 2018, 12:47 PM · I've played a good number of these, and both the Handel and the Mozart are actually pretty tough. The Mozart is really exposed, and the Handel really requires a nice tone production. With that said, there is an F-major "Handel" sonata in most sets that is on the easier side of the 6 sonatas that are commonly lumped together in most editions (Only 2 of the 6 were written by Handel). As for the Mozart, I believe K 303 and K 304 are pretty playable, but a lot of them are tricky to play nicely.

Schubert sonatinas are nice, and nothing crazy, but I find them to be written uncomfortably, and they end up being harder than they look - Still, I would check them out. Bach sonatas are tough. I agree with Scott on the Dvorak, and with Will on the Corelli. There is probably some pretty playable Telemann, but I'm not personally familiar. Also, there is the Martinu Sonatina, which may be easier than the Dvorak.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings