Just an opinion upon a quick test (for a personal research of what people prefers, regarding sound)

Edited: September 4, 2018, 11:07 AM · I recorded with my phone (recording is not bad, in my opinion) two short phrases i'm playing, quite in proximity but not close.
Please forgive my lack of precision, it was a quick test :)

soundtest n.1

I played the beginning of a folk mazurca belonging to the past, in my area (northern Italy).
After about 25 seconds from start i'm playing again the same phrase twice but "something" changed, that i'll tell later about.......

Do you like, by instinct, more the first (< 25s) or the second (> 25s) ?

Thanks.

Replies (18)

September 1, 2018, 2:59 PM · Lovely piece, good playing, thanks for sharing. Instinct says last 25s although they are very similar.
September 1, 2018, 3:09 PM · Thanks.

As a note: if someone is interested into this piece, i could post a pair of pics with the score :)

September 1, 2018, 3:25 PM · First 25s sounds more squeaky.
Last 25s seems more resonant, with more depth. I like it better.
September 1, 2018, 4:52 PM · Ditto what Fox said.
September 2, 2018, 7:31 PM · A not violinist friend, not belonging to this forum, told me that he liked #1 more, because he hears more "reverberation" .......
September 3, 2018, 10:00 AM · I like the second 25 seconds. I feel like you can hear more phrasing and it is more carefully played. I felt more emotion as well :)
September 3, 2018, 11:12 AM · Now i can start to disclose the difference between the two parts:

different bows...... :)

September 3, 2018, 1:52 PM · More details, please. :-)

Could you post the clip in a more permanent place (e.g. turn it into a Youtube video)? So that we can still make sense of this thread in the future.

September 3, 2018, 2:22 PM · Yes. I made another more serious recording yesterday, too.
Edited: September 3, 2018, 5:11 PM · ... as Viotti said...
September 3, 2018, 5:31 PM · Both sound similarly tense to me. Loosen up a bit.
Edited: September 4, 2018, 11:06 AM · Cotton, thank you for you reply but my technique or interpretation is not the issue. I'm far from being a "classical" player.

My question is what the collectivity prefers as SOUND, between the two.

And so, i made a further recording, for the same question: do you prefer the first 1'40" or rather the following half?

sound test n.2

This new recording was made with a more serious device, and about 3m apart, with the microphones slightly on my left side, at violin level.
The file is a stereo uncompressed wav at 44.1 Khz, 24 bits (as the first recording).

(Don't be scared by the bare ip numbers in the url: it's a server that i manage myself, but i did not renew the domain of the website :)
It's a secure server)

September 5, 2018, 6:03 AM · Ok, almost nobody is interested in my sound tests, related to "gear".
Maybe it's better to discuss about rosins and shoulders rests ...... ;)

If someone is interested on the details of the differences involved, in the tests above, can write to me privately: marcobrancalion@gmail.com

September 5, 2018, 11:30 AM · Marco, many have already given you feedback, others might have just given up on downloading your sound clip. I've given up on #2 after 10 min, with only 15% downloaded... which is 3 times as long is it took to record it! I don't think it's a general lack of interest.
September 5, 2018, 12:39 PM · Thank you Roger for your comment.
You are probably right........

No problem, the test is going on elsewhere.

September 5, 2018, 5:33 PM · I mostly read this forum while commuting (not now, though) and I'm not very eager to use up my data plan by downloading uncompressed 24-bit audio files over mobile.

Also, you have received feedback on your first post. If you ask people for an effort, you should do something back, like explaining what you are trying to achieve. Instead, you ask for another effort.

Edited: September 5, 2018, 7:44 PM · Han,

i have already written that there is no problem if a form of test upon preferences is skipped by many, and i consider it as closed now.

And the lack of disclosure, at the beginning, of the difference between the excerpts in the clips was for not influencing people's opinion.
I wanted to see if people heard, without knowing before, that the second part of the posted clips was a carbon-fiber bow.

And i strongly believe that an mp3 hasn't the quality that a good raw sound a wav clip has.

So, i understood that this forum is not the best place for similar tests. No problem with it.

Greetings.

September 13, 2018, 11:37 AM · In the first clip I liked the first half. The sound was more focused and not quite as abrasive.

The second half wasn't bad either. If I were using the recording for a more serious project, the first half would be my choice.

I would have responded earlier but I missed this post.Amazing the quality that can be captured on a cell phone.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings