Help reducing A String ringing

Edited: August 31, 2018, 3:53 PM · Hi, my A String seems to be ringing a lot - I this is because the notch in the fingerboard has become too deep.

I've put a piece of leather on the notch, which solves the problem. However, I'm not really convinced this is going to be good in the long-term

Are there any other 'quick fixes', or should I just get my violin checked?

Replies (2)

August 31, 2018, 5:42 PM · Do you mean buzzing? Ringing is usually a good thing. If it is rigging as overpowering the other strings you probably need a sound post/bridge tuning. If it is buzzing that's an entirely different problem.

Notch on the fingerboard, do you mean the upper nut?

Either way, although I don't quite understand what you did with the leather thing, it can't be a good thing. If I were you I'd have my violin checked by a qualified luthier.

August 31, 2018, 8:16 PM · If it's a problem with the groove depth in the nut, DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE TO FILL THE GAP. It'll slice the your strings like a hot knife through butter (don't ask how I know). Some sort of epoxy/ ebony dust mix will work.
Better to just fit a new nut, though, really. Don't bother with Frankensteining the existing one.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings