Guitar solo on violin

August 31, 2018, 10:52 AM · I would like to learn how to play by ear the guitar solo from the song "Fool in the Rain" on the violin. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might tackle this? I know the song is in the key of C and 12/8 time signature. The solo starts at 3m50s

https://youtu.be/Zp-LBD_q0sQ

Replies (12)

August 31, 2018, 11:07 AM · There are a number of apps that let you slow down the track without changing the pitch. That's one tool that might help. I occasionally use that technique with students.
August 31, 2018, 12:01 PM · "The Amazing Slow Downer". You can analyze any length of the music with the loops and transcribe or memorize it. Like Anthony stated, there are other apps that do the same thing. That's just the one I own.
August 31, 2018, 12:18 PM · Just play it over and over (at a lower speed using an app if you must) and take it a short bit at a time. That's how we all learned to transcribe.
August 31, 2018, 3:30 PM · Greetings and welcome Mr.Vinciguerra!

Well there's a light in your eyes that is shining
like a star that can't wait for the night
I hate to think I've been blinded baby
Why can't I see you tonight?
And the warmth of your smile starts a burning
And the thrill of your touch give me fright
And I'm shaking so much really yearning
Why dont you show up and make it all right?

Led Zepelin used to be my favorite band and my sister gave me that record for my birthday in the early 80s and Fool in the rain was my favorite song on the record.

While practicing transposing can teach us all to listen carefully and match tones I would rather spend my time improvising on the break and try to play something fitting that sounds good. A lot of violin solos such as those in Dave Mathews Band are a few good sounding riffs repeated over and over again and simple is better and cleaner sounding IMO.

I am not so good at improv as I do very little of it while playing and don't work at it when practicing

August 31, 2018, 6:08 PM · Stairway to Heaven might seem cliché, but I know all the Led Zeppelin and still think that guitar solo would be the best Jimmy Page to try on violin.
August 31, 2018, 7:42 PM · all these songs have several tab versions for guitar online- just search and find one that looks good! From there it's easy to figure out the notes and put it in whatever form you like. Do you know anything about playing electric guitar? Jimmy Page's solos are all very easy notes, played in a minor pentatonic box (that's ez fingering on guitar), and played with a lot of bends, hammer ons, and pull offs, usually slightly off the beat. Even tho the notes are easy, it's hard to get a good tone and make them sound like him! Especially on a violin, where you don't have the percussive effect you do on a guitar and have to use slides to approximate bends. Clapton's a lot easier if you like any of his songs.
August 31, 2018, 8:09 PM · Download Audacity. Slow it down, cut it into easily digestible little bits. Learn it a measure at a time.
Or do it the good, old-fashioned way and listen to it a million times until it's burnt into your brain, and spend 10 hours figuring it out on the violin.
September 1, 2018, 11:58 AM · Youtube now has the ability to play the video at slower speeds - 75% and 50%, if memory is correct. Find the solo passage on Youtube and play it at the slowest speed. Listen closely, 2 bars at a time, and try to play it on your violin.
September 1, 2018, 10:26 PM · Of the slow-down software packages, I've found Transcribe! to my liking. I tried Amazing Slow Downer, and, can't remember what was better, but overall, Transcribe! is a good package. Will also slow down a video and sound track, if that is what you have. It will change keys also. It will also guess at chords and note values, but, that part is not as solid as other features, just because of the nature of the beast.

www.seventhstring.com

No association with them. Just a satisfied customer, and the developer is a nice guy. You can download a trial version. Not sure the price. I paid $50 a few years ago.

September 1, 2018, 11:58 PM · Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions. I think slowing the tune down will help a lot. I'll check out the guitar tab too.
September 2, 2018, 3:21 AM · theodore indeed forget all the technology and just do it, explore it, have fun figuring it out.
September 2, 2018, 10:35 AM · one of main themes in it is:
starting on A string, 1st pos: D-C (slide or pull-off), A, D, A, C, A, G
rhythm is "heartbeat" blues rhythm- like triplets: dot the first one, and don't play the second one. In this, the A's are the shorter, softer one.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings