‘Infinite’ Ricochet Exercise?

August 28, 2018, 9:00 AM · Hey all,

I wanted to ask if you had ever heard/read about the following exercise:

Starting at the middle of the bow with hair fully parallel to the string, preferably on either the D or A string, the player ‘throws’ the bow as if wanting to do some ricochet, and then attempts to keep the bouncing going for as long as possible without any added effort (while still drawing the bow down slowly). You have to find the right balance and relaxation in the arms to make it work.
When you do it right, which takes some effort, the bow will keep on bouncing by itself for a long time (albeit without making any real sound). Works only with a modern bow (Tourtre and onwards).

The teacher who showed me this exercise described it as ‘one of the secrets I discovered’, and a way to learn to ‘have perfect bow control in really soft dynamics’, and that the feeling you were learning to have in your arms in this exercise helped you to achieve that.
After learning how to do it, and experimenting with it for some time, I have indeed noticed that this exercise gives a noticeable and instantaneous improvement in tone quality and bow control, much more effectively than sons filés, for instance.

I was quite suprised, as I had never heard or read about this exercise before, so I was wondering if some of you guys knew it.

All the best,
Roman

Replies (3)

August 28, 2018, 11:11 AM · "Starting at the middle of the bow with hair fully parallel to the string"

I think you meant to say parallel to the bridge?

Edited: August 28, 2018, 12:48 PM · He may mean flat on the string.

Certainly takes a "good arm" and a bow with good "dynamics."

Edited: August 28, 2018, 12:55 PM · Thanks Andrew, I meant flat on the string indeed

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings