Lift Bow or Not During Multiple String Crossing

August 28, 2018, 3:32 AM · Here is a beginner question, whilst I do a string crossing from lets say from the D string to the E string, do I lift the bow off the string during the crossing or leave the bow on the strings (obviously not drawing the bow on the A string using the latter method). For example playing the interval from D (open D string) to the G on the E string?

Replies (6)

August 28, 2018, 4:21 AM · I find the bow can slow down and "nearly" lift for a split second.
August 28, 2018, 8:51 PM · Thanks Adrian, I will give that a try.
August 28, 2018, 9:57 PM · It can slightly lift if the bow change occurs near the frog, but should NOT lift if the bow change occurs near the tip or in the middle (anywhere in the upper 2/3 of bow).
September 5, 2018, 11:10 PM · Experimenting continues. So far I have only been playing in first position. If I try starting from the D4 on the open D string to the G5 on the A string but in fourth position this makes the bow change smoother. So I just have to practice shifting and become comfortable playing in fourth positiion. Am I on the right track?
September 5, 2018, 11:43 PM · Ummmm... You need a teacher.
Edited: September 6, 2018, 3:49 AM · Norman, I echo Erik. Getting even a monthly lesson will save you a lot of struggles.

To go from D4 to G5, I would not play G5 on the A string unless I was already in 3rd* position or greater. It's easier and more logical to cross strings than shift that far. When shifting you risk a lot more than when crossing strings. Suddenly jumping like that is risky - you are driving blind!

That said, as a violist I would have to do that - but depending on what came before I'd likely already be in position. You however are blessed (cursed) with an E string. Use it!

Practice string crossings by playing the first note, pausing (move the bow during the pause) and then playing the second note. Eventually it gets better until you don't notice it unless they are especially nasty.

*I think 3rd position - sorry I don't think in positions typically.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings