Advice for Suzuki Teacher Training (Unit 1)

August 27, 2018, 1:37 PM · Hello,
I am preparing to take Unit 1 of Suzuki Teacher Training and would love to glean wisdom from teachers who have taken the course. Any little tidbits of information or advice related to Unit 1 are very welcome.
Here are a few questions I had: Was there anything about the course that surprised you? Any materials that I should be sure to have with me? Should I expect to play my instrument extensively during the course? I will also be auditioning for scholarships - any wisdom on that front is very welcome.
Thank you so much, and have a great day!

Replies (5)

Edited: August 28, 2018, 7:13 AM · These are all great questions for your teacher trainer, they may have some additional materials that they recommend for the course. You will definitely want your book 1 with you, some trainers prefer a clean copy. A notebook or laptop, just something to take notes on, you will be doing several hours of observation over the week. This is a bit of work but well worth it, over several units, you'll have compiled a nice library of observations to look back on for advice, encouragement, and ideas. There is generally a bit of playing and demonstration as you work through all the teaching points and techniques.

The Suzuki book trainings are a lot of work but also a lot of fun, making great connections with like minded teachers, and extremely motivational. My only advice would be once you get home from training to take your time going through all your material, outlining and sequencing how you will be using and integrating all of the ideas into your teaching. Dr. Suzuki would say something like you aren't teaching Suzuki Method, you are teaching "Cammi Schuler" Method.

Welcome to the Suzuki community!

August 28, 2018, 9:13 AM · Each class will vary slightly depending on the specific teacher trainer. As the previous poster mentioned, bring a laptop and notebook (I would bring both) and pens/pencils. I would also recommend a clean copy of the book to take notes in, you may want to bring a three ring binder, one trainer I took class with gave us binders (she asked us to help with the cost if we could), and the other gave us extensive hole-punched handouts to put in our own binders.
I would be prepared to play a lot, and also sit a lot, and to participate in trying out various teaching techniques and games with your classmates.
I would also make sure that you have book 1 securely memorized (some institutes will say memorization is strongly encouraged, but not required. This is true for books 4+, but most trainers will expect book 1 to be thoroughly memorized).
Overall training was a lot more fun than I expected to be. I don't necessarily consider myself a "Suzuki" teacher even after training, but the training has been invaluable for my teaching, just because of the clear sequencing and detailed technical instruction, plus various fun ways to teach young students.
August 28, 2018, 4:37 PM · Thank you both for the great advice! I really appreciate it. :)
August 30, 2018, 1:44 AM · When I took the training, it was organized a bit differently than it is now. For book 1 we had to know and be able to write out the piece names and composers in order. We also had to play them all from memory. We also each chose a book from a list of books and wrote a book report - I was thinking about those a couple of days ago and the effect that those books have had on my life.

Who would be funding the scholarship? The institute? Your local Suzuki organization?

September 2, 2018, 3:04 PM · Good to know! What were the books you had to choose from?
Most likely the institute... :)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings