Non classical repertoire

August 27, 2018, 2:37 AM · From a recent fiasco at home, when I played Baroque for people who don't enjoy classical...
What do you play to friends and family in, say, a picnic or a family celebration? Kids and teenagers around but also their parents (in the 40s).

Replies (6)

Edited: August 27, 2018, 5:05 AM · Don't play for people who don't appreciate the real music, they don't deserve you
August 27, 2018, 5:23 AM · My son plays Happy Birthday ))
August 27, 2018, 5:31 AM · I never bring my violin on picnics....
If you must play - play Czardas by Monti or something else that sounds impressive :-)
August 27, 2018, 11:16 AM · Ravel Tzigane. Most of it is unaccompanied anyway. Or learn Viva La Vida by Coldplay
August 27, 2018, 11:21 AM · I have played things like "Bippity Boppity Do" from a compilation book for family members who are not really into classical music. Thais Meditation is always a hit too. Am also bringing Over the Rainbow into the fold for such "outings". Or something that folks can sing along with (like, My Darling Clementine)?

Maybe play some Lindsey Stirling >_<

August 27, 2018, 11:48 AM · Tzigane is overkill for an informal gathering, in my opinion.

Whenever I play for my mother's assisted living center, I play hymns, Broadway show tunes (Edelweiss is always a big hit), patriotic tunes (except I never play the SSB because I don't want the wheelchair-bound to try to stand up), etc. Thais and Czardas are pretty much the only classical music I play.

The Leonard Cohen Hallelujah is popular and easy to play. Beatles tunes are mostly melodic and playable also.

The important thing to keep in mind in this sort of setting is that it isn't about you nor is it about what you can do on the violin. Just play what people like.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings