History of violin. Stradivari or del Gesu built children size violins?

August 27, 2018, 1:34 AM · If yes, are there any that still exist?

Replies (6)

August 27, 2018, 5:50 AM · Stradivari left plans for a 3/4, but I don't think any one has found one.
August 27, 2018, 7:16 AM · Yes, there is a 3/4 violin by Stradivari, I think it is on Beare's book. If I am not wrong, there is also one Del Gesù, in mint condition, in Beare's collection, I remember seeing photos of it.
August 27, 2018, 3:01 PM · Thanks. I will look for more information on this.
Edited: August 28, 2018, 8:41 AM · The Belle Skinner Strad is a slightly-large 3/4. The ones Manfio mentioned are more like 1/4. There are a few others that might be called 7/8.
August 29, 2018, 4:10 PM · I wonder when the dimensions of the violin became standardized. From that point on fractional instruments become a possibility. Also who and when did somebody have the bright idea that making fractional instruments was a good business strategy.

"The Violin - A Social History" doesn't go into fractional instruments or even when the dimensions got standardized.

All that being said: that part of the industry is doing quite well.

August 29, 2018, 7:44 PM · Michael, I remembered also of Strad's "L'Aiglon", 1734, (1/4) (I think it is on Sacconi's book, with a head in the form of a "scudo") and the Le Fountaine. 1712, I think it is a 1/2 violin.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings