chorda bad

Edited: August 25, 2018, 7:27 AM · I'm overseas and away from my workshop (AKA the unused corner of the furnace room), but I just had to do something about this intonation thing. It was driving me nuts, micromanaging my intonation (try remembering to finger normally on E and G, and flatter by up to a semitone on D and A, depending on where you are on the fingerboard). With pieces with lots of double and triple stops... don't even get me started.
Anyways. With some not-quite-the-right fit tools, I lowered the D and A strings pretty much to the limit of playability, and adjusted the nut for the extra width on the D string. It's high time for me to make a new bridge anyways, so it doesn't matter much. However, the D and A are STILL sharp---even as low as third position, fifths start getting real wonky.
No, it's not the fingerboard scoop/ neck relief. An actual luthier has played this instrument before and didn't have any complaints.

I emailed Pirastro, though, and they did send me a free, fresh set of Chordas. So, yay. Now I can prolong my suffering. Or pawn them off on my worst enemy.

Replies (2)

Edited: August 25, 2018, 9:54 AM · Mr. Cotton,

I do not mean any disrespect, but shouldn't you be able to play in tune regardless? This is why I still do not understand what you mean with "intonation": your own, or that of the instrument? As long as the bridge is properly aligned, you need not be overly concerned with this "intonation" as if you were playing a guitar in need of a setup. If it's out of tune, it could be your fingers or a gut string being very sensitive to the warmth of your fingers (as the Eudoxa aluminum D can be)-unless the strings went terribly bad (the sort you can't even tune with open fifths.)

I haven't used Chorda in 23+ years, so I can't comment on their pitch stability.

(I would like to add that many non-Passione gut strings are not this sensitive, so I wish Pirastro dealt with this as a proper issue. That said, I play in tune with Eudoxa just as well, and so do *many* others.)

August 25, 2018, 10:39 AM · Adalberto, from other posts I guess that Cotton simply is someone who enjoys tinkering. Sometimes I understand what he is trying to achieve, and sometimes I'm not completely sure about his intentions or the underlying problem. Like this time...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings