Suggested Competition Pieces

August 25, 2018, 6:11 AM · Does anybody have advice on good pieces to ay for competitions? I am joining a local violin competition next year and the requirements are:20-25 mins worth of repertoire (at least 3 different musical periods and styles) + 1 full violin-piano sonata. I am already kind of decided on Brahms 3 for the sonata, Mozart 5 1st movt (9mins) and Saint-Saens Havanaise (9mins),which leaves me with 2-7mins. I'm quite torn between playing a Bach or a 20th century piece, so suggestions are much appreciated :)

Replies (6)

August 25, 2018, 11:53 AM · How about the first movement ("Obsession") from the Ysaye 2nd sonata? About 3 minutes. 20th century riffing off the Bach E major Preludio. Harder than the rest of your program, though.
August 25, 2018, 12:12 PM · Lydia's suggestion is good- something more notey and less lyrical to contrast with your other selections. Obsession isn't too bad, with the admittedly big exception of that middle part, if you've got a good technical foundation. Something modern- for easier than Ysaye, Prokofiev Solo Sonata, one of the Hindemith sonatas (there's a movement in one of variations on a Mozart melody. Can't remember off the top of my head which one though.)
August 27, 2018, 4:18 PM · This thread didn't get much traction an it should. Here's hoping putting it back to the top of the stack will get some more responses!
August 27, 2018, 8:04 PM · Lydia and Julie, thanks so much for the suggestions! I took a look at Ysaye and it's a great piece but unfortunately it seems to demanding technique-wise :( Same for the Prokofiev I guess. Any thoughts on Debussy's violin sonata?
August 28, 2018, 12:08 AM · Prokofiev is quite a bit easier technically (it was written for students if I remember correctly). Even I performed the slow movement once. It is not his greatest piece IMO though the slow movement (variation on a very Russian theme) is good; the outer movements do overstay their welcome a bit. Have a look at the music before dismissing it.

I never played the Debussy sonata but it is great, so if you are up to it technically that is probably the better idea. As far as I hear from performances it is by no means an easy piece though, quite likely harder than the Prokofiev.

Edited: August 29, 2018, 8:18 PM · Thanks for the advice Albrecht, I'll go check out the score.

Just to clarify, do you mean that the Debussy is musically harder or harder technique wise?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings