Bow hold and right index 2nd joint pain

Edited: August 24, 2018, 2:27 PM · My teacher has me using the type of bow hold shown on the violinmasterclass.com website, and it makes a huge difference in my tone.

However, with the bow nestling right into the 2nd joint of my index finger, I'm beginning to notice some exacerbation of some pre-existing joint pain. Particularly if I have the bow right under the 2nd joint. Right above the second joint (towards the tip of the finger), I have no pain. If I move the bow a little lower than right under the 2nd joint, that has possibilities too for an alternate place to land. All in all, I just have to watch when I need to put pressure on the bow.

I do notice that that bow hold is not really what I see a lot of players using, but it had immediate impact for me.

Just wondering who else uses that style bow hold and/or what you folks might be doing for joint pain in that area. I'm 65. I don't know specifically that I have arthritis (no malformations), but possibly due to some repetitive stress from playing a button box accordion with a thumb strap on that right thumb (with the possibility of inflaming the adjacent finger) AND playing way too many 4 hour gigs.

Replies (2)

August 24, 2018, 3:49 PM · Looks like it's the Russian bow hold, which I use. If there is a problem with that 2nd joint try having the bow contact point between the 2nd joint and the hand - or even immediately adjacent the hand, which works fine for me. If there's now no bow contact with the 2nd joint that should alleviate the discomfort. Just experiment - hands are all particular to the individual.
August 24, 2018, 4:06 PM · I think it might work between the joint and hand, at least for now. No pain at all is right above the join, going towards the tip, but, my teacher didn't seem to like that position. I only discovered this problem yesterday or day before, so haven't started experimenting around yet. Thanks.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings