Any INTENSE(!) left hand pizz studies?

August 24, 2018, 5:06 AM · ^
|

Replies (12)

August 24, 2018, 5:16 AM · God save the queen pizzicato variation is for me the most difficult. After you can play this, you can probably play anything :)
Edited: August 24, 2018, 6:12 AM · Maybe just a little too intense.

In theory, I can do it, but it's not as clean as I can accept from myself.

August 24, 2018, 6:22 AM · Souvenir de Sarasate is where a lot of students encounter LH Pizz for the first time. LH Pizz is the worst thing ever introduced to the violin. Not even Heifetz could make it sound good.
Edited: August 24, 2018, 6:44 AM · Guess Heifetz didn't practise enough.
:/

The left hand pizz in Souvenir, on the other hand, is too simple to really be of use.

Edited: August 24, 2018, 2:45 PM · In Zapateado, Joseph Hassid's LH pizz is so perfectly blended with the spiccato bowed notes that I didn't realize they weren't pizz until I heard Heifetz's recording!
Edited: August 25, 2018, 6:46 AM · Ricci's book on left hand technique covers it well. Sevcik too-maybe on the 4th book, supposedly about double stops that also covers double harmonics? (I forgot.) I believe mastering different challenges on the instrument helps with the "easier" obstacles. That said, I generally don't find LH pizz difficult, just annoying depending on the work (ascending is always more difficult, but intelligent practice conquers all.) I did do LH Pizz with Ricci's book when I was younger, and it wasn't never too difficult afterwards, though some players have an amazing, very resonant LH pizz.

Don't compare yourself to the best recordings out there. Some top world class players still don't have a superb LH pizz, and their world didn't end. Just make it sound the best it will with your hand, violin, and strings.

(You can always isolate passages like on Nel Cor Piu Non Mi Sento, but it's good to build the basic LH Pizz feel gradually.)

Edited: August 25, 2018, 7:59 AM · My ability to do LH Pizz vanished over time in proportion to my ability to snap my LH fingers audibly - I guess I just got too old.

So I wonder if practicing snapping fingers while you can might enhance LH Pizz.

August 25, 2018, 8:05 AM · So that's the issue...
I never could snap my fingers!
August 25, 2018, 8:22 AM · http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/9/91/IMSLP87050-PMLP41815-Paganini_-_Duet_For_One_Violin_Duo_Merveille_(Kross).pdf
August 25, 2018, 9:05 AM · I actually can't snap my fingers since childhood. Don't know if it's just not knowing how to do it, or maybe if I am just "flawed" (a combination is more likely.)

I do have small calluses on my LH fingertips, but they were not developed on the violin, and I also wouldn't be able to scientifically prove they are "the ticket" for LH pizz fluency.

They are similar to classical guitar trills/slurs/pulls on-off, if that helps-Paganini did enjoy classical guitar after all, even though not the first to use LH pizz.

August 25, 2018, 9:13 AM · Sevcik Op. 1, Part IV, No. 19. Looks like a "warm up", and there are trickier passages, but playing the whole page without trouble likely means you can easily develop the LH pizz technique to be used elsewhere.
August 25, 2018, 11:51 AM · The trick to a resonant LH pizz is that the finger stopping the note has to be held down very firmly.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings