Mischa Elman: a hole in his recording legacy?

August 23, 2018, 11:33 PM · I've been searching up and down, hither, thither, all over: is there any recording, either official, pirated, spirited, or whatever, of Elman performing Brahms' violin concerto? It was definitely part of his repertoire, but is there no recording of any such occurrence?

Please: help me!

Replies (3)

August 24, 2018, 11:07 AM · Excellent question, to which I have no reply. I'm curious as to Kreisler's performance of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto, which others have said he did record.
August 24, 2018, 11:37 AM · Not sure about Mischa. You can hear Fritz playing the second movement of Tchaikovsky on youtube but I don't know about the rest of the piece.
Edited: August 24, 2018, 1:48 PM · unfortunately I don't know of any recording of the Brahms Concerto with Mischa Elman. That he played it in concert I'm sure. He did record the Brahms Sonata No. 3 in d minor. He recorded the Beethoven, The Wieniawski, Mozart 4 & 5, Mendelssohn, Lalo Symphonie Espagnole, Bruch G minor,Bach E major, Nardini, Vivaldi, and Khatchaturian Concertos, and of course the Tchaikovsky. I'm probably leaving some others out. It would have been nice to have a recording of Elman playing the Brahms concerto. Incidentally I don't think there is a complete recording of Kreisler playing Tchaikovsky but he did record the Chausson Poeme.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings