What was your concerto sequence

August 23, 2018, 3:47 PM · Another post made me curious- what was your concerto sequence?

Mine:
Vivaldi a minior
Handel Sonatas
Nardini VC
Dancla Airs Varies
Mozart 3
Bach g minor Presto
Bach E major VC
Bach gm other movements
Mozart 5
Kabalevsky
Bach bm
Kreisler P&A
Bach dm
Bruch

Then college and it's all a blur...

Replies (22)

Edited: August 23, 2018, 4:29 PM · Ok, if you are curious--and in the hope we will get some more entries. "Concerto", I see, is not to be taken literally:

Vivaldi a-minor concerto
Vivaldi sonata op. 2/2 (unlike the a-minor concerto this one is a masterpiece)
Haydn G-Major concerto
Schubert sonatinas (all three)
Bach a-minor concerto
Haydn C-Major concerto
Bach double concerto
Beethoven F-Major "Romanze"
Bach E-Major concerto
Mozart concerto #3
Viotti concerto 22
Beethoven sonata op. 30/3 (G-Major)
Bach E-Major Preludio
Bruch d-minor concerto (I never worked on movement 3*)

There are probably two or three I am forgetting.

* I have to admit that I generally don't think pieces designed to be difficult are worth the effort (for a professional yes, I suppose, but us amateurs heave some privileges).

Edited: August 24, 2018, 12:34 PM · Vivaldi A minor
Vivaldi G minor (a much better piece than the A min. I used Urtext instead of the not entirely satisfactory Suzuki version)
Bach Double
Bach A minor
Haydn G major

And that's the end of my violin concertos - I'm an orchestral violinist at heart, busy with it too, and consequently don't really have the time to work on concertos or much else.

Edited: August 30, 2018, 3:41 AM · This is my 18-year, mostly self-taught sequence of solo repertoire.

On violin (except Telemann) before switching and during transition to viola:

Vivaldi A minor
Vivaldi G minor
Vivaldi Spring
Bach A minor
Haydn G major
Telemann viola concerto
Bach Double
Bach G minor

(Note: I was switching to viola while there was a big surplus of violists and shortage of violinists in my area, and was almost always being asked to play violin in ensembles, so I kept practicing mostly violin solo rep.)

After switching to viola almost exclusively:

J. Schubert concerto
C. Stamitz concerto
Schumann Adagio and Allegro
Bruch Romanze (the only piece I've ever performed as soloist)
Brahms E-flat major sonata
Mozart Sinfonia Concertante
Schumann Märchenbilder, first two movements
Clarke Passacaglia
Clarke sonata (in progress)
Schubert Arpeggione Sonata (in progress)
Walton concerto (in progress)
Clarke, Morpheus (in progress)

The last five pieces on the list were all started within the past 18 months.

August 23, 2018, 5:55 PM · My son is 13 - this is his list, though it might not be perfectly in order because some of these overlapped. He switched teachers about 7/8 of the way through the list, so it is a combination of pedagogical opinions.

Vivaldi a minor
Bach Double (1st mvmt)
Vivaldi g minor
Seitz #3 (1st mvmt) - way better than the other Seitz!
Bach a minor
Accolay
De Beriot #9 (1st mvmt)
Haydn G major (1st mvmt)
Mozart 5
Bach E major
Kabalevsky
Mendelssohn
Sarasate Zigeunerweisen
Vivaldi 4 Seasons Summer
Bruch
Mozart 4
Saint Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso
Lalo Symphonie Espagnole (working on 5th mvmt still)

Edited: August 23, 2018, 8:11 PM · I did the concertos in the Suzuki books through the Bach A minor in book 7. Then I did, if I recall correctly (excluding all the short works, Bach, etc.):

Haydn G major
Various Viotti concertos starting with 23, DeBeriot 9, and a part of Scene de Ballet
Mozart 3
DeBeriot Scene de Ballet (in its entirety)
Rode 8

From there we went into the regular concerto repertoire, with solidly-set technique and a deliberate pedagogical sequence:
Mendelssohn (3rd movement only)
Mozart 4
Saint-Saens 3
Barber (done because I really wanted to play it)
Prokofiev No. 1
Tchaikovsky (1st movement)

Then I took a decade break. When I came back, we did (again excluding most short works, with the works mostly chosen without regard for difficulty):
Mendelssohn (1st and 2nd movements)
Bruch
Khachaturian
Lalo
Tchaikovsky (2nd movement)
Zigeunerweisen
Saint-Saens I&RC
Paganini No. 1 (1st movement)
Brahms

Then I took another decade break. Since then we've done the following, again excluding short works, sonatas, Bach, etc., with more deliberate pedagogical intent:
Glazunov
Prokofiev No. 2
Beethoven
Lark Ascending (non-pedagogical; requested by conductor to perform with orchestra)
Paganini No. 1 (1st movement, not a success)
Tchaikovsky (3rd movement)
Mozart 5
Dvorak

August 23, 2018, 9:43 PM · For me it was Mozart 3, then Schoenberg, then Rieding B Minor.
August 24, 2018, 8:05 AM · I don't remember my concerto sequence before Accolay. I know there was the Rieding b minor in there, maybe a Sietz? Maybe a couple of Sietzs?

Accolay
Viotti 23
some Concertino (I remember being disappointed by being assigned a diminutive "little concerto.")
DeBeriot 9
Mozart Adagio in E K261
Mozart Rondo in C K373 (This was too hard musically. I think my teacher wanted me to really learn 2nd and 4th positions, which I did.)
Haydn C major (all three movements--go figure)
Bach E major (all movements)
Mozart #5 A major (first two movements only--huh?)

I really wanted something in a minor key by this point...all too sprightly and happy, with the exception of the Bach slow movement. I was a high school student with a dark mood.

Lalo (movts. 1, 2, and 4) Started college and quit lessons before I got to 5.

Mendelssohn (brief entanglement with 1st movement with a new teacher in my second year of college)

August 24, 2018, 11:59 AM · I never exactly followed a typical concerto sequence. I can choose anything that I like that is within my playing level, so I am not obliged to follow a concerto sequence as long as I cover certain bases e.g learning at least one Mozart concerto movement. I skipped Accolay, De Beriot 9, and Bruch. I did learn the Haydn G Major and the Bach A Minor, however.
August 24, 2018, 1:33 PM · Here's what I remember from what was a VERY long time ago.

Suzuki through book 2
teacher change
"violin solos I like to play" type stuff, Seitz concertos (not the hardest one), a Telemann sonatina, the easier set of Dancla Airs Varies.
Vivaldi G major
Vivaldi a minor
Vivaldi g minor? maybe
Bach double
Viotti 23
Bach a minor
De Beriot 9
Mozart 3
Mozart 4
teacher change
Schubert sonatina D major/Telemann Fantasy 9
Bach 2 (E major)
Bach E major partita/Bruch/Kreisler pieces
teacher change--conservatory
Polonaise Brillante/Bach d minor partita (minus Chaconne)
Saint-Saens 3
Mendelssohn
Chausson Poeme
Mozart 5
Sibelius
Tchaikovsky
Brahms
I honestly cannot remember everything else I studied at Oberlin, but my junior recital included Ives Sonata #2, Telemann Fantasia #7, and the Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso, and my senior recital included a couple of Kreisler numbers, selections from Ned Rorem's Night Music, the Chaconne, and the first Faure sonata. But I did a lot more than that in the four years.

And then on to grad school, but at this point it is really nothing like a sequence.

I expect that even if I succumb to the family Alzheimer's, I may not remember my (future) grandchildren's names but I'll remember what I played on my junior and senior recitals.

Edited: August 30, 2018, 12:25 AM · Vivaldi A Minor
Seitz G Minor
Bach Double
Accolay A Minor
Vivaldi Four Seasons
Beethoven Spring Sonata
Bach E Major
Beethoven Romances
Bach D Minor Partita (excluding Chaconne)
(Teacher Change)
Czardas
Meditation from Thais
Mozart 4
Lalo Symphonie Espagnole
Zigeunerweisen
Bach E Major Partita
Salut d'Amour
Bruch 1
Zapateado
Mendelssohn
Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso
Bach G Minor Sonata
Glazunov (what I'm currently playing, high school senior)

There's a lot of chamber music that I've performed to a high caliber, though, rather than just a strict solo-only diet.

August 30, 2018, 1:38 AM · Get on that coffee, Mary. Helps combat Alzheimer's. Omega 3 fatty acids probably aren't a bad idea, either.

My list? I think it went something like:

4 years of being allowed to play Suzuki songs really badly and without joy (2 teachers in this period)

Switched to viola, with yet another bad teacher.

Switched to a (finally) good teacher who actually showed me music is supposed to at least be mildly enjoyable and energetic.

Bach cello suite 1 Prelude transposed to viola

Telemann double viola concerto

Switched teachers (to a technically more qualified but far less enjoyable/nice one)

Stamitz? Some more cello suites?

Switched teachers, to someone who was the first teacher to talk to me about "tone". What a concept! Only took 7 years of lessons before someone mentioned it! This teacher actually had me play a bunch of slow and beautiful pieces, as well as symphonia concertante which I really enjoyed.

Switched teachers to my final and best teacher, who took me through Bartok viola concerto (and some other stuff that I can't remember right now).

Edited: August 30, 2018, 5:27 AM · Your lists all start at a level above mine! :-)

G. Perlman "Indian Concertino"
Küchler op. 11
Seitz no. 5 op. 22 (movements 1-2)
Küchler op. 15 "Vivaldi style" (still working on it)

I think my teacher said that the next ones will be Vivaldi Am and Bach double.

August 30, 2018, 8:23 AM · Han, there’s a fairly significant jump from Küchler to the Bach double! Vivaldi a minor is a reasonable next step but I often teach Vivaldi G major (NOT minor) between Küchler and a minor. It’s a fun piece, very learnable, much better music than Küchler, and a nice way to ease into the technique needed for the a minor. I don’t know why it isn’t taught more except that it did not make it into the Suzuki books.
August 30, 2018, 9:33 AM · I wish I remembered my list from when I was a kid.

I know I did, in no particular order:
Mozart 3 and 4
Suzuki Book 4 - including Vivaldi A Minor (hated it then, still hate it now)
Bruch concerto (1st and 2nd movements were completed, and the third were being learned when I stopped taking regular lessons)Tons of orchestra music
Etudes, which I know don't count but it's a miracle I did them as I was a wretchedly undisciplined practicer (I recently found a copy of Paganini Moto Perpetuo from days gone by, and some Kreutzer and still have my old Wolfhart that I apparently did too - being a hoarder with an apparently poor memory pays off sometimes.)
Some chamber music (which I have no recollection of playing, but obviously did based on the markings and a performance flyer in the sheet music.)
A bunch of smaller pieces (Bruch Kol Nidrei transcribed for violin was a favorite).
It's too bad I don't remember everything.

Upon returning:
A bunch of smaller pieces (Thais Meditation, Roumanian Folk Dances, Telemann Fantasias 1 and 10)
Suzuki book 4 - all pieces (for the second time in my life, womp womp womp)
First movement of Saint-Saens Triptyque

Currently: Lalo, Bach E Partita (Preludio only at this point)

August 30, 2018, 10:20 AM · "there’s a fairly significant jump from Küchler to the Bach double!"

That's why Vivaldi is in between. ;-) Anyway, we'll see. I hope I'll be ready for Bach within a year; it would be the first concerto that I actually like. Seitz #5 felt like an etude that was way too long.

Edited: September 1, 2018, 11:58 AM · I think I did a Haydn, a few Saitz and Bériot as well as the Accolay as a kid, though that’s only vague recollections.

From those I really remember, I think it went like this:

-Wieniawski 2 (1st and 2nd movements)
-Vieuxtemps 2
-Mendelssohn
-Saint-Saens 3
-Mozart 4
-Bruch
-Vieuxtemps 5
-Tchaikovsky
-Prokofiev 2
-Sibelius
-Prokofiev 1
-Barber
-Korngold

But my memory is kinda failing on this, so I might have gotten some of the order wrong.
And of course I’m excluding all virtuoso pieces form this list.

September 1, 2018, 12:08 PM · I am a bit surprised to see that Mary Ellen went to a major conservatory with Bach E major partita and Bruch. She must have played those pieces very well.
Edited: September 1, 2018, 2:59 PM · David, it was a very, very long time ago. I was lucky to get in then and I would never encourage students to try it now. Actually I don’t think I would have gotten in the very next year, but I happened to audition right at the time that they were between major teachers, and applications that year were low.
Edited: September 4, 2018, 7:41 PM · My dad moved us around a lot, so I had eight different teachers between the ages of 5 and 18. Everything learned pre-high school is a bit of a blur to me. Here is what I can recall (listing more than just concertos).

Grade School (several teachers)
- Suzuki books 1 through 8 or 9
- Bach Double
- Kreisler P&A (performed this for my 6th grade talent show)

Middle School (7th/8th grade)
- (don't recall any rep I learned from these years!)

High School (9th/10th grade, new teacher)
- Lalo Symphonie Espagnole (1st mvt only)
- Saint-Saens Havanaise
- Various solo Bach (except for Chaconne)

High School (11th/12th grade, new teacher)
- Bach 2
- Saint-Saens 3 (performed this as part of my senior recital)

Post-high school, I took a 20+ year break. As an adult re-starter (in 2011), I learned the following on my own:

- Bach Chaconne (my main reason for restarting was so I could play this piece)
- Mendelssohn (performed with my community orchestra last year)

I am currently learning Bruch and will perform it with my orchestra in March, one month shy of my 50th birthday.

Bucket List:
- Tchaikovsky
- Sibelius
- Brahms
- Beethoven

Edited: September 4, 2018, 3:44 PM · (Suzuki straight through mid Book 5, just listing the last few)
Vivaldi A Minor
Bach Double mvmt 1
(tried like heck to play Tchaik mvmt 3 on my own at this point, hahaha, totally beyond me due to bow hand and bow speed limits I didn't know were there)

Tchaik mvmt 2
Bartok Romanian Dances (studied but never quite got to solid performance shape at that time, late high school - the harmonics were quite a stretch)
Bach A minor concerto
Mozart A Major #5 - this was a large jump, my (college prof) teacher let me make a jump this big only because I really liked #5 and was not a music major.
Beethoven Romance in F minor

From this point on, I was self-taught post-college, and took a much more meandering path through the repetoire, with a quality bar based on personal enjoyment only. I will confine it to things I think I succesfully played, not just attempted, but bear in mind that I've not had a chance to do any of this in concert except for family...

Mendlesohn E Minor mvmt 1
Bruch G minor mvmt 1

(at this point I stalled technically for over a decade, though I played in a community orchestra and kept at the instrument)

(discovered a light, fast bow with a balance that taught me a different bow hold, BOOM, suddenly I could play quick, started to go back and revisit things I had failed at, or never even tried)

Tchaik mvmt 3 - suddenly could basically play it at speed, or close.
Paganini D Major mvmt 1 - worked on the 3 pages for months (which really means I finally practiced fingered thirds and scales like the dickens)
Tchaik mvmt 1 - after months playing Pag D major mvmt 1, I dipped back into Tchaik and was shocked to discover that I could play through it (like an amateur). Fingered thirds turn out to have an amazing effect on left hand technique. At 41, I have just about now memorized the Tchaik, which I've fought with like Don Quixote since I was 15.

Now working on Beethoven Concerto. The real challenge is musical, the technical challenge appears to center on surviving the first eight notes with the music intact. AFAICT, if you can play the first eight notes, you can play the piece. I am now on my third fingering for those eight notes...

In between in the last few years, I've worked on various Sonatas and Partitas, and some caprices. I may someday perform the S&P, will be kind of surprised if I can get the harder caprices solid enough for performance, but then, I also don't think that's really what they're for. Caprice in the 19th century appears to have meant almost exactly the same as our "etude."

September 5, 2018, 12:43 AM · Well, I think i e had quite an odd solo progression. Most of my technique has probably come from orchestral rep, which I’ve played quite a bit of.

A few lower Suzuki book pieces
Attempted Bach Presto from G minor sonata (looking back idk why my teacher had me do this)
Eccles Sonata
Teacher switch
Allegro by Fioco
Teacher switch
Handel E Major Sonata
Bach D minor partita (Allemande and Sarabande)
Mozart 3
Kabalevsky

We were going to do Bruch next and I began it a bit myself, but we mainly focused on orchestral rep and seating audition music.

Now I’m studying with my professor Anna Vayman. I had my second lesson this week and I’m basically re-learning everything which I’m told is normal. We’re working on various exercises, etudes, and finally I get to work on double stopped scales. All this is so I’m ready for my hearing in the spring where I play scales in double stops, an etude, and an excerpt of my solo. I really hope I get to do Bruch or Mozart 4/5.

September 5, 2018, 8:29 AM · Francis, regarding the Beethoven concerto: The opening octave sequence is scary way to begin a movement, but it's not really that difficult compared to the piece as a whole. The whole work is very tough to get precisely in tune (and anything less than precise will be obviously out of tune), and it has to be 100% clean. You can simplify things for yourself a ton by picking easy fingerings, but they won't be musical. The technical challenge is substantial; this is one of those cases where you can't really get away with sounding sloppy.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings