Is it normal that when I press hard D string the 3 strings sound at the same time?

Edited: August 23, 2018, 11:22 AM · I dont know if I need a D string with more tension or what but for me the D string is the hardest string for play because you need a precise angle with the bow for dont touch another string, but when I play in 3rd position the string is more down and its impossible to play it without touching the other strings

Here is a photo of the bridge of my violin

https://imgur.com/gallery/zewYgtq

Photos of the fingerboard, the violin is a Hofner H11E

https://imgur.com/gallery/fom2y1O

Replies (6)

August 23, 2018, 7:44 AM · hi Norman, I am hesitant to judge your bridge, the right foot does not look good to me, but your question is more about the curve of the bridge. anyway, even with a good bridge you should be aware that when pressing hard, you have to play close to the bridge, otherwise you are indeed going to touch the two adjacent strings. the string is much stiffer close to the bridge so there you can press it hard.

actually, when playing chords, you sometimes actually do want to play three strings at the same time!

August 23, 2018, 9:05 AM · Are your strings too high off the fingerboard, sothat pressing then d makes it "disappear"?
Edited: August 23, 2018, 10:21 AM · I agree with Adrian's question. Your bridge seems rather plain looking with no visible carving normally seen in a professional setup by a qualified luthier, which to me brings into question how well it is fitting your instrument. Too high or too flat a bridge would make the middle strings (D and A) more difficult to play indeed so that could be a possibility. Another possibility is that you are playing close to or over the fingerboard, where the strings are closer in height with each other. If it were me, I'd be looking into the possibility of getting a new quality bridge (yours lacks the markings normally seen on a quality bridge blank) fitted by a qualified luthier. The one you currently have looks to me like what I'd expect out of a Chinese factory setup.
August 23, 2018, 11:23 AM · Photos of the fingerboard, the violin is a Hofner H11E

https://imgur.com/gallery/fom2y1O

August 23, 2018, 11:23 AM · OP, just bring your sounding point closer to the bridge when pressing hard.

The string is tighter the closer to the bridge you are playing, so it won't press down as much and thus won't "dip" down between the two surrounding strings due to the pressure.

Edited: August 23, 2018, 11:49 AM · The action of your strings looks a little high to me.
I always cut my bridges slightly lower and flatter than the standard, though.

Also, what everyone else has said. And is that a bridge or a 2 by 4? It looks real thick in the photo.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings