Dealing with copied orchestra music

August 21, 2018, 3:15 PM · Hi all--Up until now, most of the stuff we have played since I joined my community orchestra was not too long. But in Oct. we are playing the Swan Lake Suite and it's 20 pages long. The music is in the public domain, so downloadable and printable off our website.

What I have done in the past is to enlarge the pages to 11x17 (for my aging eyes) and then I turn them (I am the inside player) by just pulling the page over to my side, exposing the next one. I can often avoid turning more than 1 page by arranging the pages strategically. This has worked fine for 3-5 pp pieces, but for 20 pp this seems unwieldy.

I thought about taping them together back-to-back and then making the whole thing into one bundle using a tape hinge, but that seems difficult to do with 20 pp. I thought about putting them in a loose-leaf notebook, but given the size of the sheets, that won't really work.

Any tips? I am afraid I'm going to have this huge handful of pages to try to wrangle, and as we all know, if something goes horribly wrong during a concert, we will be a mess. I am first stand seconds, so hard to hide.

Replies (8)

August 21, 2018, 3:41 PM · Elizabeth,

Are you saying that printing out what you have converted to 11x17 format results in 20 11x17 pages? I just did a search on IMSLP and found the Violin-2 part is only 11 single pages (six if you make 11x17 two ups)

August 21, 2018, 3:46 PM · Usually the published versions have page turns that work reasonably well. You can duplicate that by two-sided printing but you have to make sure that your front/back pages match the front/back pages from the publisher (in other words, if the original part has a cover page and then opens up with the first two pages of music on a left/right spread, don't print the first two pages of music front and back).
August 21, 2018, 5:41 PM · If you're not sure what the original looked like, you can usually tell by looking at the end of each page (possibly the beginning of the next page). Before printing, I would suggest looking for convenient spots for page turns at the ends of pages. If they're mostly at the end of odd-numbered pages, then print the first two pages front and back. If they're at the end of even-numbered pages, then the first page is on the left side (i.e. on its own) and the two-sided printing should start on the second page.
August 21, 2018, 9:37 PM · Elizabeth,

If you're running those single sided, I recommend double siding them. Then you only have 10 pages, like many others said.

You can definitely tape the score like a binding - we did it for the Dvorak Stabat Matter in the spring and I recall it being about a similar amount of pages. Our librarian is some kind of scotch-tape sorceress to make it work so well.

August 21, 2018, 10:59 PM · All this work--taping and copying. In the end, maybe it would be worth just buying a new part? They put them on better paper anyway.
August 22, 2018, 12:20 AM · I also frequently buy "real" parts from Lucks or Kalmus. If the page turns are difficult, sometimes it is better to leave the photo-copies separate, untaped. Then you slide them over one at a time during rests, which can often be in the middle of a page.
August 22, 2018, 1:18 AM · Pendantic: there are 2 pages per sheet (in this universe, at least).
August 22, 2018, 8:18 AM · It's 20 pp. You can see it here: http://www.springhillorchestra.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Swan-Lake-VLN-2.pdf

I blow each page up to 11x17 to make the notes bigger. Esp on these non-original parts, I find that really helpful b/c otherwise a lot of the notes are not very clear. Real parts are often not very big. I ended up copying my "real" Haydn symphony 59 part (we rented) so it could be enlarged.

I don't want to do it back to front if I can help it b/c often it's easier on the page-turner to put 2 pages next to each other on the stand. The next turn may not be until the next movement, or at a convenient place with rests.

I will figure it out--I guess it's not a common problem. I just find that the big loose pages can be unwieldy to deal with, BUT I also want to be able to lay them side by side if I need to, so I guess I will go through them and figure out where the turns will be and arrange them accordingly.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings