Bow rehair - what should I watch out for

August 19, 2018, 8:54 PM · I located my good wooden bow, but it's had a lot of the hair eaten off.

It's tone is much better than my other bows I've haphazardly collected.

I can hear my intonation much better with it, but I'm hoping that's not because it has less hair.

Never having had a bow rehaired, what should I look out for? My immediate options are Jeff Sahs in Sacramento (whom I got a good feeling from the other day when I was there) or Ifshin Violins, who are closer to where I live, though I've had problems in the past with them not taking seriously a less expensive instrument when brought in for repairs. This is a $300-400 bow I think.

Any pointers?

Replies (9)

August 19, 2018, 10:55 PM · Your $400 bow is not a Peccatte. Take it to a reputable luthier for a rehair and you'll be fine.
August 19, 2018, 11:00 PM · What are the possibilities that a rehair will change the sound? Even if well done.
August 19, 2018, 11:09 PM · My experience with the bows I have owned longest, about 65 years, is that they have retained the sound the make on respective violins through all the rehairs - in Maryland, in DC, in Oklahoma, in LA and in Berkeley (and environs).

What can change things is not having the right amount of hair for the stiffness of the stick. And some bow techs use a standard "hank of hair" regardless. I think that is something to watch out for. Too much hair can really louse up a soft stick. But too much hair - you can always give it a "haircut" - well a "trim" is more like it.

August 19, 2018, 11:27 PM · Right now it's sounding pretty good (compared to my Coda) with between half and a third its original hair. It rings much more. Surprised me. I just couldn't remember which of my bows were good for what, after a break of a couple of years. I bought the Coda because it sounded better with my electric.
August 20, 2018, 12:30 AM · With bow rehairs costing over $100 where I live, I would just save up for a new bow.
August 20, 2018, 5:27 AM · Ifshin quoted me $60. I'll get another quote today.
August 20, 2018, 8:15 AM · A rehair won’t change its sound. But it will keep it from warping. You’re missing a lot of horse hair.
August 20, 2018, 9:05 AM · Good point.
August 20, 2018, 11:22 AM · A good rehair can range from $55 to $100 depending where in the country you live. There are a lot of things to check for in a rehair. My blog covers a lot of that information, this post in particular: https://adbowsllc.com/2018/07/23/rehair-checklist-for-parents/
But there is other info about crossed hairs and finding a good luthier that you mind find useful as well.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings